Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i am taking my son and father down to janes island camping thanksgiving week was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a couple good places to start? thanks for any info

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think that there's a James Island near Cambridge at the mouth of the Choptank/Little Choptank but there's no camping that I know of there. Did you mean Jane's Island near Crisfield?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yea janes not james by the pokomoke they got 6 cabins there i figured it be a good place to go for the bigger fish i live up near the elk i dont know much about that neck of the woods.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I think that there's a James Island near Cambridge at the mouth of the Choptank/Little Choptank but there's no camping that I know of there. Did you mean Jane's Island near Crisfield?
That would be the other James Island he's talking about. Hopefully Capt Matt will chime in and give you the low-down.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hey Seadog.

Fishing the shallows Thanksgiving week yields marginal results as most the shallow water action slows down considerably by then depending on water temps. (if temps. are still perhaps around 50 you will still find some fish working the shorelines and submerged structure around the islands and up in the creeks). Most years by time late Nov. arrives the fish have moved out of the shallows except for a few stragglers and reisdent stock schoolies and into open water. We typically chase birds/breaking fish and do some subsurface action and bottom bouncing jigs looking for fish stacked up in late November. Besides trying the shallows casting shads etc. bring some 1 oz. heads, and 4-6" bass assassins and some flies to rig droppers and take a spin out between the north end of Janes Isl, and Kedges straits on southward to around buoy #6 & #8 lookig for surface action and fish schooled up on the finder (dont' always look for birds)
A concept I tell others to help find fish in open water this time of year in the sound is during the week look for the oyster boats and generally within the vicinity of the area they're working you most often find fish stacked up close by and birds working bait on the surface. Just use your fish finder and cover depths of about 15-30'.

Good luck and I hope you, your son and father have an enjoyable trip and good time fishing the area. Feel free to drop me a line if you need any more info.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the good info guys at least i got some idea of where and how to start now do you think it would be better down there or up by the bb or doesnt matter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts