Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a special tv program on national tv on monster bluecats on the James the other day. The James may be doomed, it happened here in my neihborhood back about ten years ago. We had excellent monster flathead fishing in Tucker Town Resivoir near Salisbury NC and one day it got all kinds of publicity. Radio programs news papers and a couple local tv stations. It used to be no problem to catch 3 or 4 flatheads that would go over 25 to 35 lbs in one trip. Now it takes many trips to go over 30 lbs. I've personally caught so many over 40 lbs. that I lost track of how many, a bunch anyway. Tucker Town is a small lake, almost river like about 6 miles long and when word got out, it didn't take long. Now you can't buy a bite there. Commercial fishermen were part of the problem but recreational fishermen were taking fish out by the boat loads to show people and brag on them. The James is a different animal from Tucker Town, but look out the commerical fishermen are raising havoc and this latest publicity on national tv It can't help. I know the rivers and lakes belong to everyone but I hope people will practice catch and release. You guys pardon my spelling I may edit later. I'm about to run out of ink from edits.
Moe

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
I'm gonna open a catfish campground if I can find some property. Currently looking for a partner.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good Wasabi, you supply the funds and the work and I'll help you camp and fish.[grin]

·
Registered
122 Posts
[Q]mini moe originally wrote:
Sounds good Wasabi, you supply the funds and the work and I'll help you camp and fish.[grin]
[/Q]

You stole my line...

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
I wish i owned the campground at the mouth of the chic.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't y'all know that campers can't fish? You got the southern comming out of me now. I've launched my boat there twice, it is a nice little spot isn't it?

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
shhhhh dont ask moe !! look it up on the virginia board shhhhh

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm gonna do it Jamie you better not be leading me astray.
I posted over there and they didn't answer.

·
Registered
556 Posts
nobody wants to tell you about the Hot Ditch b/c the locals have seen it go from a winter saltwater hot spot(no pun intended) to a place where bad days out number the good days. Some monster speckled trout have come out of there in the past but you hear less and less of them being caught b/c it is getting overfished.

Also, the James is in great shape right now Mini Moe. Nowhere in the country is CPR practiced more for big cats. The three main commercial guys are all targeting smaller cats and not going after any big fish. As long as they continue to leave the bigger fish alone and most people catch and release the bigger ones then it will be fine and possibly produce a world record fish in the future.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
HEY DENNIS I DIDNT SEE WHERE YOU POSTED IT- BUT HERE IS THE LATEST THREAD ON THE DITCH.........BELIEVE ME THERE ARE 100'S OVER THERE !

http://www.tidalfish.com/boards2/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP934078799&id=215074

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Jamie,
I posted on the other VCA board. Ranger told me I was on the wrong board and to look it up on the VA board. I did and found plenty on the subject. Thanks.
Moe

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
There are two real threats to the James river.

1. Currently 14 catfish guide over fishing the Dutch Gap Area.
2. Out of state folks.

[excited][excited]

Dayton

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That really hurts Dayton. I fish so much up there I should be an honorary VA resident. I am sorta hipocritical saying river is going to hell in a handbasket because of publicity. Well I have brought a few foriegners up there myself. Sorry. I guess I'm just greedy. Oh, about that 14 guide thing and dutch gap......they release a ton of fish there every couple weeks don't they? I wonder why they motor them all the way up there(Dutch Gap) from below powerlines down river? That's a long run just to release fish. Heck, you guys ought to be able to walk across the river on their backs. Just picking don't anyone get their feathers ruffled please.
Moe

[grin]

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I forgot #3 in James River Killers.

#3 The internet. Word gets out and many people have been venturing down river to Flowerdue and Sturgeon point. Some people hate that the secret is out. But, when you see a VCA tournament takeoff and 9 out of 10 boats head down river, you just gotto go see what is going on down there.

Oh how I long for the old days.

Dayton

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Which one's flowerdew the one on the right pass powerlines or the one with sunken barge in it mouth? One of um is herring right?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts