Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening guys,

I recently joined this board because I'm always surfing the web looking at fishing information, getting me through to my next trip. I have a small boat and I live on the outer banks of NC. I have a fishing blog website www.nozerosfishing.com

Was thinking about a change of pace from all the striper fishing, and maybe trying for a big blue catfish on the james next weekend.

Any reports, advice?

Planning to put out @ osborne landing

Thanks

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Bring a sturdy anchor (I always brought 2). Anchor upcurrent of any obvious structure and let the current bring the stern around so you can fish the structure. Put out several fish-finder style bottom rigs with anywhere from 4 to 12 ounces of weight and a large circle hook on 50+ pound mono leader. Use a castnet else where to catch some fresh gizzard shad or buy some eels at a baitshop. Use a chunk of bait the size of half a sandwich. Can go bigger or smaller. Keep the rod in a sturdy rod holder and let the fish take the bait until the rod has some serious bend to it, then pick it up and apply firm pressure. Don't go setting the hook every little nibble you see going on. If no action on structure keep moving every 30 minutes or so. Also try obvious drop-offs where the river channel starts to go down. Maybe take your time launching and strike up a friendly conversation with any other catfishermen you see launching or coming back in. Sometimes people will have leftover shad to share or will give you some tips. Lotta a-holes on the river, lotta nice folks too. I recommend you simply book a catfishing guide for your first trip because he'll show you the right stuff on bait and tackle presentation, he'll point out some of the MANY hidden dangers like mudflats and submerged obstacles, you might learn how he catches fresh bait, and you of course will catch some really nice fish. Good luck. I miss that brown water.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for all your information. I have a pretty good idea about what I need to do but I haven't even SEEN the river. I know its a whole new world once im actually on the water. Ill post a report! thanks again!

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Benjamin Harrison Bridge area is one of my old honey-holes for big cats. I grew up in Hopewell, Va., and fished the James River for years. I now live in Alabama, and I sure do miss good ole' Virginia!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you are the same wwj that is in charge of the james river cats forum, can you approve me as a member?! =)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I fish the winter months on the James. Awesome fishery. The key for you to have some luck will be catch some shad. There is a creek below the power plant a couple miles south of where you are putting in where warm water comes out of the power plant. There will be bait in there if you know how to throw a cast net or have a gill net. If you get shad, you should catch fish. The key is to not sit anywhere too long. I give each hole 30 or 45 minutes from the last bite. So if I am catching fish, I stay, but if i dont get a bite after 30 or 45 minutes, I move. I usually fish 8 or 9 holes a day. Usually, you pull up on a spot, get the rods in, and fish on within 10 or 15 minutes and you may catch a few then it tapers off and its time to move. Fishing this way is a little harder but you will catch more fish doing this. Dont be afraid to fish shallow either, even in cold water. Water temp 42 the other day, caught fish in 3 foot of water. lost one over 50 lbs that shallow as well. any questions i will be glad to help you out.
good luck
fishrxdr

·
Registered
111 Posts
me and good friend of 25+ years will be out friday the 18th looking for some catfish pullage prolly be between dutch gap and richmond though I let ya know what we find...usually before the migratory fish runs we fair well in the upper reaches

·
Registered
289 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys have given some excellent advice, I was expecting more "go find the spots yourself Carolina boy" hahah. I'm planning to fish upper chippokes area because a friend recommended I give it a try and it's closer to where I'm staying.hopefully I can find some fish and I will be sure to give a report. If I hear some reports from hopewell area before the weekend I might just go there. Thanks again fellas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts