Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the dock around 8:30 back around 4:30... decided to fish with frozen bait. caught two..... largest was 8lbs..... fishing was slow for me..... lots of boats out running all over everywhere..... water temperature started at 36 degrees got as high as 39 degrees. Caught both fish within 30 min of each other.... only bites we got all day.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Thanks for the report. It seems the cold water has slowed the bite down a bit. I hope this warm spell we're in gets things back to normal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There were a lot of boats out yesterday would be nice to hear if anyone else had any Luck.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I think your problem was frozen bait 1outboard. We have caught em pretty good in cold water, but we haven't ever done good on frozen bait.
They do get lock jaw sometimes though no matter what.
mini moe

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks mini moe...... I have been fishing with live bait but with the colder temperatures not having much luck on hook and line bait. I want to go with someone to see how they cast net for shad here.

I may just hang me a 50 yd gill net or three. anyone have a preference on webbing size or depth? I'm thinking #104 2 3/4 stretch maybe 50 to 80 meshes deep????

This is my first winter fishing the James from a boat. I still have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Wally,
I registered on the James river cats forum yesterday. Went out for two hours tonight and caught two small ones. Water temperature was above 40 on the Appomatox....
I am going to Dances tomorrow to check to see if they have a net in stock. Had already purchased my net license now have to renew. It looks like the best choice is going to be 3.5" stretch so I am legal year round.
Tomorrow I am going to Dutch Gap to check out the barge pit and Spray ditch. Will take it slow.
Loyd

·
Registered
143 Posts
Check with Oran at OS Nets......he's local and does a great job setting you up with a gill net. He also works in the Sandston area and can meet customers around that area also.
Also, IMO the big fish bite has suffered due to the extreme water temperature drop and the shad kill that happened. I think they got too much free meals during that and are just not as aggressive as they normally do during the winter months. Ideal water temps are 38 to 48 degrees and the cats should be active big time.
I fished from Wed. to Sat. and only got a 40 and a 34 lber, but there was plenty of dinks messin' with my baits every day. I heard of a number of fish being taken during that time between 30 and 71 lbs, but nowhere near the amount that should have been on a normal Dec/Jan bite.
You're more than welcome to join Old Dominion Catfish Club, there's plenty of guys on there that are very active on the river every week. It's club member owned and operated, so as a club member you can be as involved as you like.
www.olddominioncatfishclub.org
We have a Wounded Warrior Cookout coming up this Spring April 9, 2010 at Osborne Landing. Our cookouts are always a great time and you get to meet fellow club members and exchange fishing info.
Jeff

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think your problem was frozen bait 1outboard. We have caught em pretty good in cold water, but we haven't ever done good on frozen bait.
They do get lock jaw sometimes though no matter what.
mini moe
Mini moe is right, sorry to say but frozen bait is never good and any bait more than a few days old will not perform as well as fresh .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts