Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fished the James River this Saturday out of Jordan Point. This was pretty much my first trip downriver and I had some decent results. Bait was hard to get until I set the gill net deeper. Had the best results setting the net in 9 to 18 foot of water. Only fished two holes and boated 4 in the teens, 1 in the 20's, 2 in the 30's, a 42 and a 53 lber. Was only on the river for a half day due to truck problems, alternator died on the way down. Here are a few pics.

Tight Lines,
Pete

·
Registered
365 Posts
I am confused. I fished the James on saturday, around Dutch Gap, and the water was as brown as chocolate milk. You look like you are in some pretty clean water. Whats up with that? I got skunked. Congrats on a great day.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am confused. I fished the James on saturday, around Dutch Gap, and the water was as brown as chocolate milk. You look like you are in some pretty clean water. Whats up with that? I got skunked. Congrats on a great day.
The water was pretty clean downriver. I talked to a few people fishing upriver that day and they too said it was murky with a ton of floating debris. Glad I went downriver.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Pete's Fishing Report

Way to go Pete!!! But.... don't you know there's no fish down river? That use to be the saying to discourage people from trying down river. Who was it that use to say that Waddy? Did you get a water temp. reading, Pete, to pass on to us wantabe up there fishermen? It's in the mid 40's around here in NC. on L. Norman and L. High-rock. We had trouble getting bait the last trip up there. How tall is your gill net, and can they be suspended up off the bottom in deep water? I think mine is 8 ft. They may go under it if it's 2 or 3 feet off the bottom. Keep those reports comming that's what keeps this board from passing on.

moe (Dennis)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dennis. "No Big Fish Down River" Thats what I say about upriver "Theres No Big Fish Up River" LOL. That was my first trip downriver. The temps were also in the mid 40's on the James. My net I think is 6 feet wide by 50 foot long. My net is set up so that it suspends in the water column off of the bottom. Just adjust your anchor and float lines. Watch your finder and adjust accordingly. Bait seems to be pretty tough on the James this year. Get ya a couple of shad hopefully in the first set up and go fish nearby while your net is soaking, seems like it is taking us alot of time to get enough bait for the day and I hate wasting time chasing after it when I should be set up fishing. Looking forward to getting back out there this Saturday with the father in law, just don't know what part of the river I will be fishing yet. Will report on Monday. Anyone else planning on being out there this Saturday?

Pete

·
Registered
86 Posts
My son is home from Sheppard AFB in Texas for the holidays, so we are planning to get on the water this Saturday. I just hope to catch something, but 40+ would be okay with me!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good luck to you and your son cgBosun3. What part of the river are you going to be fishing. I think I may start down below the BHB, get bait and fish a couple of holes then relaunch out of Osbourn and fish upriver for the rest of the day. I'll be in a small 16 foot aluminum Tracker with Black and Blue factory stickers on it. Stop by and say hello if your in the area.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Hey 'Moe. Merry Christmas to ya!

I think earlyriser started all that "no big fish downriver" talk. My experience has been I've caught them all over. Here's my most recent - caught on 6 lb. test while crappie fishing! It came about 1/4 mile below the Chick dam. I haven't catfished in awhile.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey 'Moe. Merry Christmas to ya!

I think earlyriser started all that "no big fish downriver" talk. My experience has been I've caught them all over. Here's my most recent - caught on 6 lb. test while crappie fishing! It came about 1/4 mile below the Chick dam. I haven't catfished in awhile.

6lb test, no thats what im talking about. Must of been a great fight, congrats. How did you do with the Crappie?

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Great to hear from you again Pete !!

_./'\._ ¸¸.•¤**¤•.¸.•¤**¤•…..._./'\._
*•. .•* ~ Merry Christmas~ *•. .•*
/.•*•.\¸..•¤**¤•.,¸..•¤**¤•.. /.•*•.\

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wasabi nice fish on 6lb. I have been trying for the IGFA world record on 2lb. On the 24th I caught on 28.8 on 2 lb. I'm getting closer. The day before we got one 50 and 57 lbs. The 50 was 46 inches. We also caught 5 fish between 25 and 35.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
I think you must be using minnows that are too big.
No Capuzzi. The minnows were fine. It was just a slow day for Crappie fishing for the whole group of us. And I'm not such a hot crappie fisherman on top of it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thats right wasabi, nice fish. I believe Cataholic also has made the statement, "there are no big fish down river." Now that I think about it, I believe Stickinem really brought about that saying. Guys you are just wasting gas going down river.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
xxx

Same back at you Sabi, Merry Christmas to you and yours. Looks like you had a fight on your hands there. Is that across from River Rest in that creek? You can lie if you wanna keep your crappie holes secret. It just looks familar. Ant no fish below Chick Dam. Have a good one Waddy.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My "secret" crappie spots are the most obvious horriffic looking giant jutting out of the water manmade structures. It may not be as clever as finding that perfect sunken log, but it sure is less frustrating. Not totally unfrustrating though. I'll slam them one day on a given structure to the point that I run out of bait. The next week I'll head to the same spot, loaded with bait, get nothing, and then release fifteen bucks worth of minnows.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts