Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been fishing the James River for several years, while we are not catching the BIG bay fish, the ones we are catching are decent size and usually we limit out. Last week fishing was good, past several days nada. Question is, the windy conditions seem to have a deffinate effect on the fishing for a few days until the water clears up, how about the super full moon ? we have been told that the fish feed all night on a full moon, and although we are marking plenty. We are catching nothing. I would be interested in hearing from the experts on their feelings

·
Registered
394 Posts
maybe....

1. Sudden changes in water temperature.
2. Sudden change in the amount of fresh water from the rains a few days ago.
That's my 2 cents worth!:yes:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I agree, with sudden changes in water temp and major rainfall amounts i always seem to notice the bite drop off some. After major rain the fish always seem to bite better on the incoming tide (i think the incoming brings water with higher salinity up the river just my .02) and the outgoing being very poor. I think it is difficult to catch fish in high wind conditions more because its harder to keep baits in the strike zone as long as when its calm. Im no expert, just my opinion.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think it's just a matter of where the Fish went,
the Tide was very high last Saturday due too the Wind and the Full Moon.
Then a different Wind came in and slightly moved the Fish, Up or Out?
I'd like to know to.
Anyway, they'reack!

Les

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm no expert, but I can share your pain. I spend most of my time in the river (as opposed to fighting the wind and crowds at Kipto) and most always catch all the group is allowed around the M&M or JRB. However the last week has stunk out loud. The surface water looks like someone just dumped in a bucket of dirt. It aint "just you."

I recon it's time to go float an eel for a biggun on the other side of the bay. Gotta do it once or twice before the season closes. But the ole river sure is easier... and there's still lots of fun and eatin in a 10 pound fish.

And BTW... it was just one day, but last year we found the 40 pounders feedin under a small flock of birds, right on top, at the channel edge about 500 yards west of the JRB highrise. They do come up here.

Take care out there,
Rick

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RickG, I agree ,we usually do fairly well in the James, and we did VERY good last week catching several in the slot, but now they are not hitting anything we have..we were just talking this afternoon if it does not pick up this weekend, then we will have to bite the bullet and higher fuel bill and hit the bay..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts