Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dominion has permits to dump almost HALF A BILLION GALLONS OF WASTEWATER FROM COAL ASH PONDS INTO THE RIVERS THAT FEED THE CHESAPEAKE! The James River may see 255 Million Gallons of the stuff dumped in 60 miles upriver of RICHMOND!!!! http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/dominion-gets-approval-for-coal-ash-waste-dumping-in-james-river/Content?oid=2281180

I cannot comprehend how VA DEQ voted 5-1 in favor of this.....please, if you have time this week, call someone, share this with your friends, talk about it. This sucks.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Call the Secretary of Natural Resources in VA!

The Governor of Virginia's office gave me a number of the Office of the Secretary of Natural Resources of VA.

Questions, Comments & Concerns regarding the permits for the release of nearly HALF A BILLION GALLONS OF COAL ASH WASTEWATER INTO THE JAMES & POTOMAC RIVERS can be addresses to:

Special Assistant Felix Shapiro
804-786-0044

I urge anyone interested that has a minute to contact Mr. Shapiro and discuss your feelings on this matter.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Someone needs to get involved on the national level. The state wont listen to a few hundred local enviornmentalists and fishermen. National pressure from one of these Groups would hopefully get their attention.

I was alarmed when I heard of the Potomac proposal. That's bad enough but the Upper James river in that area is at best a small mountain fed creek. I would guess that all of the Dominion coal fired plants are probably on the list to do this.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The 5-1 approval vote was based on the water being tested as relatively safe. I reckon the toxins are in the settlement soil, not the water itself....that's what I was told after an inquiry to the DEQ a few months ago.....yawn. It's whatever they want it to be.....use the water then to fill fire trucks or something.....irrigate the power plant property to keep the grass pretty and green with it then if it is so safe per test....geezus mercy my lord above.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have a minute today, contact your VA State Representative in support of the bill described below, it could make a huge difference in whether or not HALF A BILLION GALLONS OF THIS STUFF makes it's way into key Striper spawning areas and into our bay & Rivers!

Members of several Virginia fishing clubs and some Virginia CCA members are supporting Virginia's Senator Scott Surovell bill SB537 which requires Dominion to off site the toxic coal ash to a properly lined land fill. Members are contacting their state senator and delegate requesting they support SB 537. A summary of the bill:

SB 537 Coal combustion by-product impoundments; closure requirements.
Introduced by: Scott A. Surovell | all patrons ... notes | add to my profiles

SUMMARY AS INTRODUCED:

Coal combustion by-product impoundments; closure requirements. Directs the Department of Environmental Quality to require the closure of surface impoundments of coal combustion by-products, commonly called coal ash ponds, by July 1, 2020. The bill applies to impoundments that managed such by-products from the generation of electricity by an electric utility or independent power producer prior to December 4, 2015, including those impoundments that, prior to December 4, 2015, have been closed by capping in place or have received Department approval for closure by capping in place. The bill requires that the coal combustion by-products be removed for disposal in a permitted landfill meeting federal criteria, and that the impoundment site be reclaimed in a manner consistent with federal mine reclamation standards, for closure to be deemed complete. The bill allows an investor-owned public electric utility to recover the costs of closure from customers.

Details of the senator's bill are available here:

lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?161+sum+SB537

1 - 5 of 5 Posts