Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got some time off next month and I wanted to do a little fishing.

ideas:

Florida-Does any one have any guides in the ft myers/boca grande area? Is the fishing any good that time of year?

Steelhead-where is a decent place to catch some of those monsters that time of year? I'm worried more about the rivers being frozen over not being cold. East coast perfered.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Call or email Capt. Rick Grasset: SnookFin-addict Guided Fishing Services

He's a close friend of mine and an all around excellent guide who fishes out of Sarasota and the whole surrounding area down to Charlotte Harbor. If he cannot help you or is not close enough to where you want to be I'm sure he can recommend someone.

Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
So I got some time off next month and I wanted to do a little fishing.

ideas:

Florida-Does any one have any guides in the ft myers/boca grande area? Is the fishing any good that time of year?

Steelhead-where is a decent place to catch some of those monsters that time of year? I'm worried more about the rivers being frozen over not being cold. East coast perfered.

Thanks in advance for any tips!
For some reason I couldn't hit reply to your thread, I could only quote it. January could be a great month. Best bet, anywhere, any place, without a doubt, is CBBT in my opinion. Head to Va Beach and book someone. Capt Chris Newsome will be doing C&R trips in the bay and Ocean Trips all winter I'm sure. Tons of fish, perfect for fly fishing or light tackle. The birds lead the way and often it's all 30"+ fish on top.

Southwest Florida Salt Water Fly Fishing Guide This is for southwest florida, Boca Grand. He's the same guy who posted below about insane albacore action. He's a MD native but lives in Florida now and knows the place well. Should be plenty of fish around when the wind doesn't blow but when it does, he knows some back country spots to hide from the wind that are loaded with red fish and snook.

As for steelhead, they are my specialty. I'm not a guide, just a fishing freak who's favorite fish is 350 miles away. But when planned right, I can leave my house in Gaithersburg, MD at 4am and be fishing by 10am for energized rainbow trout on steroids. Erie, pa is still rocking with tons of fish. But the cold is settling in now and you need to check USGS (Brandy Run) and fish immediately after a spike in water level. It can happen any time in January and February but a spike means the water came up, blew out all the ice and sucked in a ton of fresh fish. Ohio is right next door and can offer some amaizing fishing too, better in the late winter/ early spring like March. FishErie.com -- A FishUSA.com Regional Site -- Complete Erie Area Fishing Information

The Salmon River in Pulaski, Ny stays open all year because it's a tailwater. Fishing is more difficult but almost more traditional and "Normal" to actual steelhead fishing on the west coast streams. Meaning you got to put your time in but will be rewarded with a better size of fish than Erie. Athough they both give up 30"+ fish. Check out SalmonCrazy | Where It's Fall All Year Round, Whitakers Salmon River Pulaski, NY, Steelhead fishing, Salmon Fishing, Float Fishing Motel Lodging, Fly tying material and morel.., Pulaski New York Salmon River Steelhead Driftboat fishing guide Cape Cod Monomoy Island Chatham Mass, NYFishTales.com, surf around and choose a guide. I wouldn't recommend going there for your first time without a guide. Plus in the winter they tend to get a bit of snow. Anything under 20 inches is considered a dusting. Their snow removal crews are top knotch. One minute you're completely snowed in with 5 foot snow drifts and 3 feet of fresh snow, the next all the roads are plowed, even the parking areas to the river are plowed. Nothing slows that place down and the guides fish in just about anything. One week two years ago they got over 10 feet of snow that fell in two or three days. Some guides are booked solid all year and they took one or two days off for a 10 foot snow storm.

Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow that is some great info!!! Thanks a lot for all that salmo!!

Sounds like I have a lot to look into and plan for. I'll be sure to keep you in the loop.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts