Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
most people these days make jerky like slim jims i am looking for a jerky recipe for thinly sliced deer meat any suggestions.

·
Registered
119 Posts
1 bottle of soy sauce, 1 small bottle of liquid smoke, 1 jar of medium salsa. Marinate until meat changes color (about an hr.) Thats enough to fill your average dehydrator.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I make sliced jerky out of the entire deer. As far as the recipe, I'd say standard marinade ingredients would be Soy and Terriki (sp?), liquid smoke (enough to make the marinade smell smokey), maybe some brown sugar, and alot of pepper if you like it hot. A friend recommends Allegro marinade. If I can find it cheap, I'll use that.

I marinade the sliced and trimmed meat in a big container overnight with enough marinade to cover the meat. I'll flip the container to keep the marinade mixed and stirred.

Put the strips onto a rack that can drip in the oven or dehydrator. I use the Cabela's commercial 80quart and have yet to fill the entire thing, it is a giant. Check it after about 4 hours and cook it until it is of the consistency that you like. If you are using the oven, keep the door propped open.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
From "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas

3 lbs thinly sliced meat (1/4" works well)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup soy
1/3 cup worcestershire

This is the core recipe, however I have noticed that it is a little light on liquid so I usually add 50 % to all ingredients except meat.

One reminder, any meat especially 1/4 " thick left to dry at 150* will take about 6 hours or so and the chance for spoilage is great. The real recipe calls for 1 tsp of instacure #1 avaialable from any sausage processing company. It can be done without but is ill advised. Would you eat steak left on your counter for 12 hours??

If you want to pepper this receipe up for some heat, add 1/2 tsp white pepper and 1/2 tsp cayenne to the end mix.

Also from experience I will never use liquid smoke again. Don't like the flavor. If you want smoke, find a way to use real hickory, if possible fresh. Smoke hard for 45 minutes in the beginning and then let it just dry. It gives it a much mellower, smoother flavor.

Trust me, it's good.

Chris

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Every year I use the Cabela's mix and do a whole deer or two. I have always been very happy with it and so have my freinds who eat most of it. I do vary the dring time as some like it moist and some like it a bit more dry. Whole meat is the choice of most everyone, but for the sticks you gotta use the grind which is faster by far. When I do the sticks I make sure I GRIND the meat as to prevent and fat in the mix. Just my .02

TED

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
grind the meat and let her eat...i add some garlic, worchestere, soy or what ever i feel...gotta play with it...sometimes the kids like alittle brown sugar:yes:for just a little sweetness:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts