Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to get my hands on some 10in BKDs. I was wondering what kind of jigheads to use with these rather large baits? Seems as though you would need an extra long shank to get the hook where it needs to be. Anyone using a type of stinger setup with 2 hooks? Thanks!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I think if you mention free beer in this post mike burgess will probly chim in. I know he makes his own jig heads and could probly help you out.
chris

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
HD,
BKD also makes jigheads 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1 1/2, and 2 ounce. They use a wide gap black Mustad hooks. They are razor sharp.

Jim

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Believe this or not but I have used 10” BKD’s on a ½ oz jig head and it works fine. If you can find a long shank jig head that is what I would use but can tell you we caught 16” stripers on 10” BKD’s.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm with Steve on that one. Rock Like to go for the head so one of Capt. Steves jig heads is all you need. I use 10" BKDs all summer.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I used a 10" BKD last year in the ocean and hooked a 30+ inch fish with a 2oz lead head and a hook that extended back 2 inch or so. Seems that stripers like to engulf their prey. I figure if they can swallow a 15" eel hooked through the lips they shouldn't have any problem with 10" BKD.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Funny you mention this.......I just left Warren's and was talking to Ricky about the jig heads that most fishermen like to use with BKD's. He mentioned having a custom jig mold made to accomidate a long shank hook for the 10" BKD's. In my opinion, a londer hook is not needed but experimenting with them would never hurt. I pour my own jigs and often use a size smaller hook then is rec. on the jig mold..........Nickle hooks are nice, and fine if fishing open water with very few snags, but curtain areas where its common to loose several jigs per outing, I use plain old mustad hooks in my jigs........pull them over a stone 3-4 times and they will dig right into your fingernail when pulled across.

Bill

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I think the gap is more important than the length of the shank. Depends on the situation, but for big fish I want a long shank, wide-gap hook. Reason the wide gap matters is the the fish usually takes the lure on the drop head first. When you feel the strike and set the hook, the jig-head flips, and the wider gap is more likely to catch the top of the fish's mouth than a narrow one. A lot of times you'll pull the lure right out of the fish's mouth anyway, even if he sucks it way down. I mostly prefer a 1.5 ounce head in the open Bay, but this time of year, that's too heavy, especially when fish are running bait up on the ledges. It doesn't take much weight to get 'em to fall 10 feet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts