Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Its time for me to stock up on jig heads again. I have used and like the jig heads from Steve (BKD guy). And I am about to place another order of BKDs. I figured I would just get my jig heads from him as well but thought I would see if anyone here has another place they get them. I know a few guys on TF make and sell them.

Any recommendations?? Should I just stick with BKD jig heads? Thanks for the help!

Graham

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
If you are interested- I can show you how to make your own... its fun to try new color schemes, and even better to catch fish on your creations! Its cheap, easy, and fun, not to mention- gives a nice winter project!! I just painted a bunch of stuff that I casted last winter. Here are some that I made yesterday...

Even though a few turned out pretty ugly, believe me, they still catch fish! Just need to tie some chutes, and bucktails...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Those BKD jigheads are some of the best around. However, my particular favorite are these:
View attachment 13091

They're short shanked, hold plastics very well, and I like where the eyelet is situated. Unfortunately, the biggest size is 1/2 oz.

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Tim,, you are awesome,, nice work. Did you pour all those?
Yup. And thanks to all for the compliments. I usually pour in the winter (although Im running out of lead, so if anyone knows where I can get some at a reasonable price, let me know!)... I make a fire in the fire pit, start up the smelting pot, and sit outside, and burn through 40-50 lbs of lead. I make everything from 1/4-1/2 oz trolling heads used for daisy chains, to 16 oz spire point parachutes, and just about everything in between. I love doing it- plus it keeps me busy over the winter, and keeps my family stocked with gear. I even sell a little bit of it to coworkers, and distant friends, which keeps me going, and pays for my hobby.

Mark- its called a "trolling head", and I got the mold from DoIt molds corp. It comes with a pull pin, you cast the lead around the pin, and pull the pin prior to the head cooling completely.

I've been coordinating a little get together with Dave (spynet000), and Mark (Baldzilla), and as soon as I get my hands on more lead, were going to make up some gear, Mark/Don- you guys are welcome to join us. If anyone else is interested, let me know- maybe if there is someone else can bring another turkey fryer base, we can get two pots going...

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Yup. And thanks to all for the compliments. I usually pour in the winter (although Im running out of lead, so if anyone knows where I can get some at a reasonable price, let me know!)... I make a fire in the fire pit, start up the smelting pot, and sit outside, and burn through 40-50 lbs of lead. I make everything from 1/4-1/2 oz trolling heads used for daisy chains, to 16 oz spire point parachutes, and just about everything in between. I love doing it- plus it keeps me busy over the winter, and keeps my family stocked with gear. I even sell a little bit of it to coworkers, and distant friends, which keeps me going, and pays for my hobby.

Mark- its called a "trolling head", and I got the mold from DoIt molds corp. It comes with a pull pin, you cast the lead around the pin, and pull the pin prior to the head cooling completely.

I've been coordinating a little get together with Dave (spynet000), and Mark (Baldzilla), and as soon as I get my hands on more lead, were going to make up some gear, Mark/Don- you guys are welcome to join us. If anyone else is interested, let me know- maybe if there is someone else can bring another turkey fryer base, we can get two pots going...
Tim,I know wheel weights are tough to use for lead,but if you want a bunch let me know. [Mike]

·
Registered
442 Posts
Lead

Tim , I have some lead and live in your area. I pour alot of my own stuff. Let me know when you guys get together. Rich

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Tim,I know wheel weights are tough to use for lead,but if you want a bunch let me know. [Mike]
Ive used them in the past Mike... its a little bit of extra work to smelt the steel, and imputities out of the lead, but the result is a workable lead for most applications (not good for things like casting spoons, but for heavy rigs like Mojos, and downrigger weights, they are just fine- and, like I said, Im running really low, so, I will take whatever you got! Just let me know- and Thanks!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Tim , I have some lead and live in your area. I pour alot of my own stuff. Let me know when you guys get together. Rich
Will do Rich! I would imagine that it will be very soon... like right after Thanksgiving- maybe 6 Dec...

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,757 Posts
Tom Hughes Guide Service
410.744.2351 OfficeFull Time443.690.3164 Boat
Fly & Light Tackle Fishing Guide

BFG Tackle makes the following jigheads (here in MD). I've used BKD's, Bass Assassin and they are great jigheads but the cost is too high.

These are 1 1/2 ounce with a 7/0 hook.

The plastics will hold because of the 2 keepers, no paint is in the eye, and they come as shown. Call Capt. Chuck at (410) 288-5310.

Capt. Tom Hughes

Fly & Light Tackle Full Time Guide

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
no paint is in the eye, and they come as shown.
If anyone ever has a problem with buying a lure that has some paint in the eye (I've bought my share of gummed eye lures in the past- dont just punch it through with a fish hook. Powder paint will have a jagged edge when broken- instead, take a heated fish hook, or small piece of heated steel wire, and work it through the eye... taking a few seconds to do that could be the difference of landing vs losing fish... especially if you tie your jigs directly to the line (without snap swivel).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts