Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have always had diamong Jigs dangeling from our outriggers while we chunked away. They were hit often enough to earn regular placement out there. Now it looks like Jigging for Tuna is taking on a life of its own. There are all kinds of Jigs and hook sets out there. Lets hear about your favorite Tuna Jig, technique or tip.
-
We like flashy jigs with some Green when targeting YFT and flashy with blue when targeting BFT. We use two sizes, 4", 5oz and 6.5", 10 Oz. We never have left the dock planning to Jig all day, but I have heard of folks who have. Our gear is at the ready and when we find the marks and can't seem to draw the bite up we start dropping Jigs.
Ken

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Our go to jig was just a standard 8 oz or 10 oz diamond jig but had some success with some jigs from the west coast used on long range boats

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have ordered my first jig rod and high speed reel. I understand more and more charters are using them and will be giving it a go this summer.

What I have been told is the blue fins like the smaller silver jigs, jiged up and down near the bottom and the yellow fins like the longer jigs dropped to the bottom and jiged up to the top. I have a dvd from shimano on how to work the jig. Looks like it will take some practice but I'm into new things. I was also told to put as many hooks as I could on the top and bottom. Will have to try different things.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Are you guys jigging over marks or just in an area where fish have been caught?

When you say let it down to the bottom are you referring to 20 or 30 fathoms or further inshore over lumps etc?

Ben

·
Registered
206 Posts
Haven't chunked much last 2 to 3 yrs. Always had a 7 and 10 oz crippled herring ready. Smaller has blue back, other all silver. Never had any luck leaving in holder at a particular depth. But, when seeing tuna on the finder just drop to depth, jig and hold on.

I'm curious if anyone jigs while trolling and how-to's.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
One thing I want to try this season is once I get a hook-up on the troll and we slow the boat to fight the fish, I'm going to have a free angler drop a jig straight down and jig for a few minutes. The assumption is perhaps the school is still checking things out from a bit deeper. Let's get jiggy with it. :fishing2:

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Have'nt tried it as much as I'd like to but planning on doing some jigging specific trips this year when the yellowfin are close. I'm hoping my Torium with the upgrded carontex drag can handle a 100# plus bluefin because when they ar eon the chunk I'm gonna be jigging them. I really like the abalone jigs in 6-10 ounces and the good old hammered diamond jig. The assist hooks are nice because they take the wieght of the jig off the hookset when the fish shakes his head. I hear those new Fin-Nor offshore reels can pull a good 40-50 pounds of drag and they are only 175$. I'll be trying one of those at some point when I get the hang of jiggin with the conventionals.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Not sure which fishing magazine had the article but it suggested jigging under dolphins when bailing and sometimes there are wahoo's under them that you can hook up on.

·
Registered
149 Posts
jigging has been good to me

There was a couple of weekends when it was to rough for me to go out in my boat. So I would go out on a head boat out of morehead city. I would get there early enough to get a stearn spot. Jig on the bottom and sometimes and sometimes hookup to a grouper if not than I'll start working the water colum. Its great big jack,tuna,ablecore,kings there is no end to what you might catch. Last word you'll get less hits with steel leader and loose a lot of lures but catch more with mono leader.
charlie
won't leave home without my jigging tackle

·
Registered
3 Posts
I work on a 61 ft carolina boat out of O.C. Md.and we jiged every day we chunked. My favorite is the Braid irons in all silver or green and blue 6 to 8 oz depending on current.The faster you work them the better.and dont be afraid to drop 1 in after a bite when trolling.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Jiggin BFT , YFT

HI:
The OLD way we jigged was to slow down to 1.2 knots on the troll AFTER a hookup. Cast a jig (3-5 ounce Diamond ) Painted RED/WHITE for BFT and CHART/WHITE for YFT. Let the jig drop down to about 100 feet (150 would be the thermocline) and jig the Diamond as the line ca,me tight as YOU WERE on a corner of the transome. YOUWZA, fun n games.
The NEW way is to use the new Buttergfly JIGS and the other types. These you can use on the drift or on the chunk. The key is to use BRAID AND the special JIGGING RODs that are now made. I'm just getting started on the new stuff .
I like the heavyer thin ,back weighted jigs in Glow/Pink. These can be speed jigged or yo-yo'd.
The new jig MAKE YOU USE the new JIGGING techiniques that make these jig irresistable to TUNA.
If you haven't gotten into the new type jigs, go back to the standard Diamond and paint them RED/WHITE or CHART/WHITE. Angle the RED or WHITE across the top of the jigs. I have been sellinbg these ( UGLY JIGS) to most of the fisherman who use them in the SEA of CORTES for anything from Bottom fish up thru TUNA.
WACKM N STACKM
JosephB...aka...Ancient Mariner

PS:
U can paint your own.It's easy. Please, change the hook from the standard treble to a single hook,with a FLORESCENT tube on the end.
Joseph B.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used glow in the dark diamond jigs while fishing the Medusa rig off Venice, LA and had the time of my life. Just a plain old 16 oz. glow in the dark jig-nothing fancy at all- dropped down to 500-600 feet would work like magic. The problem then became keeping them out of the legs of the oil rig before they would get you wrapped and cut off. Yo Yo-ing really helps cut down on the ole gas bill too.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of the input guys. I think we are going to pour our own mold in the next few weeks and hopefully RDT will have a Jig set before June/July.
Ken

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I read about jigging for tuna a few years ago in one of the Saltwater mags. Next trip out we brought some with us and put them out at the end of the outrigger. Hooked four and boated 3 on our first day while chunking. I sent them all the way to the bottom and cranked up a little. The jig was about 5 inches and 8 oz. It was a diamond style with a metallic mackerel pattern in blue and green with a short single hook, not a treble. Last year I bought a couple Shimano Butterfly jigs but chunking was not very productive off VB last year for us so they didn't catch much, except bluefish that did a real number on the dacron the hooks were attached to. I think it was SWS that had the article about dropping a jig beneath schooled dolphin for hoos. We tried that last year at the lobster bouys at the canyon with no takers. My dad hooked a tuna near the bottom while chunking and on a International 30 never got the fish to come up. After 30 minutes the fish wrapped the anchor and broke off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts