Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been out fishing a little bit this fall already and have been finding the fishing but just can't seem to get them to bite. I am primarily jigging. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what type of lures to use and weights? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chet

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Hopkins shortys, Bass Assasins and BKD's 5-7'' with anywhere from 3/4oz to 3oz of lead depending on current. Worked for us.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Keep one rod with a stingsilver/ trout bomb and one rod with a 5 inch bass assasin 3/4 ounce head. Put droppers on each and while working fish see which works better. Some days are different.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Go talk to Jim at Marty's in Mayo. He will sell you whatever you need. My personal recommendation is the gold stingsilver with the green feather.

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,758 Posts
Tom Hughes Guide Service
410.744.2351 OfficeFull Time443.690.3164 Boat
Fly & Light Tackle Fishing Guide
Fishing 101: I hope this helps you out.

Technique: Vertically Jigging the Bottom & On the Run

Vertically Jigging the Bottom
Open the bail and put the rod tip on the water and rip off line swiftly as the lure descends to the bottom. This is done by moving the rod tip up swiftly from top of the water to 12 o'clock. The number of times this is done depends on the depth of the water and the length of your rod. With a 6' rod, In 25' of water, 4 times is usually enough to get in contact with the bottom.

Close the bail by hand, take the slack out of the line, then open up the bail and insert the line under your index finger which is curled back toward the rod handle. Jig the lure until it looses contact with the bottom. The number of jigs where the lure makes contact with the bottom depends on; weight of the lure, the current and wind speed, and on how fast your boat is drifting.

When the lure looses contact with the bottom, open up your index finger and allow more line to go out. When the lure hits the bottom again, put the line under your index finger, and keep jigging. On some drifts you can do this 4 to 6 times before retrieving the lure.

On the Run
When retrieving the lure close the bail by hand and start retrieving the lure at a 5 cranks and stop and jig cadence. This allows the lure to cover the entire water column and many times the stripers will hit the lure 'on the run' rather than just jigging it vertically of the bottom. Doing this actually allows you to use 2 techniques instead of one.

Please remember that jigging is not the only technique used to catch striped bass.

Lures:
Hopkins, SHORTY, 3/4 to 1 1/2 ounce...in GOLD
Stingsilver, 2 ounce, short body...silver or gold

Note:
There are some articles on the right hand column on my website that should help you get started catching striped bass.

Capt. Tom Hughes
Fly & Light Tackle Full Time Guide
Now Booking Summer, Fall, & CBBT Trips

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Sean at Marty's sold me the gold stingsilver w/ the green feather. They've worked for me also.

-JB

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not jigging, but last week I caught 3 Stripers on a Berkley Frenzy Ratltrap, silver and blue....just letting it sink for a while and then ripping it through the water. Caught 2 small fish and one 24".

We tried jigging all around the Bay Bridge along with 25 other people and had no luck.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Check out Capt Tom's web site.

I learned all I know about Jiggin from Capt. Tom:D
He has a free seminar coming up (hope it has not passed yet)
Worth going to hear him, specially if he has his videos going.

All year, a 2oz. shorty gold stingsilver has been working great for me.
I removed the feather and the treble hook and went with a single red hook.
Lots of fish lots of fun.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
365 Posts
Keep one rod with a stingsilver/ trout bomb and one rod with a 5 inch bass assasin 3/4 ounce head. Put droppers on each and while working fish see which works better. Some days are different.
Caught fish with both of these setups last friday and sunday - stingsilver with a dropper fly, other rod with 5" Bass assassin. Caught Perch, Bluefish and Rockfish on the stingsilver with dropper fly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts