Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any first hand experiance on an appropriate size conventinal reel for tuna butterfly jigging? I'm leaning toward a Shimano Trinadad TN20. Most of the fishing I'll do will be local to MD or VA. Is this the right size to be looking at? Thanks in advance.
Dave

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
i think id want a lower gear ratio than 6.2:1 for cranking tuna and a bit more line capacity, but that is just me - i dont tuna fish much.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Jigging Reel

You should be good with that for shallower water, 50-100 fa. I got the Penn Torque 200, glad I didn't get the larger 300.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Diawa Saltiga

I have Toriums and Trinidads that I use for my jigging, although I haven't had any problems, it's well known that they have had anti-reverse failure issues. Both are good for what your looking for, they will do quick work on the 30-80 lb tuna in shallow water with 65lb braid and 13lbs of drag.

I recently bought a Daiwa Saltiga and have only been able to use it on Aj's, but have been impressed with the reel. They get really good reviews from guys using them for the NE bluefin. When I buy another conventional reel it will be a Saltiga.

Another factor to consider when considering a jigging reel is weight. You'll regret a wrong decision quick if you oversize. Line capacity will depend on water depth fished the majority of the time. Good Luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try to get something with a narrower spool, I have the torium 30 and the spools too wide, its a pia trying to lay the line down level while your working the jig. I just got the reel this summer and only used it once on a canyon trip this fall, can't say how it will work on tuna as I never got bit all night. Saw the saltiga when I bought the torium and should have opted for it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys, I was not aware of the Shimano problems. Any idea where I can get more info on that? I can get the Simano products for a pretty good deal from a friend, so was leaning in that direction. Was trying not to go to a Torsa or Stella price class reel. I might have to look at another manufacturer.

Dave

·
Registered
864 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys, I was not aware of the Shimano problems. Any idea where I can get more info on that? I can get the Simano products for a pretty good deal from a friend, so was leaning in that direction. Was trying not to go to a Torsa or Stella price class reel. I might have to look at another manufacturer.

Dave
torium anti reverse problems - Google Search

IMO the Torsa's are too heavy. I do have a couple of spinning setups and I actually prefer to use them more than the conventionals. My Stella 8k will whip most fish under 120lbs, my Spheros 12k is just a beast. You should try out a spinning set up berfore you jump into the game, it's all about preference. Some guys use both and switch back and forth to give their arms a rest.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Check out the smaller Shimano Tyrnos. Last year I used a 16II and caught fish up to 80lbs. I just picked up a 8 for lighter jigging. They have single and two speed. Watch Ebay for the best prices.
Tyrnos 2-Speed

·
Registered
843 Posts
I am looking at the tyrnos 20, but i want something a little beefier with a lot of capacity for goldens and possibly for swords. if anybody has any other opinions on them i would love to hear. I too wanted the slightly lower gear ratio so i could get more torque. still debating on the single or two speed. casey

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An Accurate two speed would be perfect, I don't think I'd use it enough to justify the price though. Still, something like that would last forever for the amount of use I would give it. I don't know if I'm trying to talk myself into or out of one.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I am looking at the tyrnos 20, but i want something a little beefier with a lot of capacity for goldens and possibly for swords. if anybody has any other opinions on them i would love to hear. I too wanted the slightly lower gear ratio so i could get more torque. still debating on the single or two speed. casey
casey check out the sportfishermen.com jigging forum. there is some good info to be had there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts