Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I entered the Bay from the G. Wicomico shortly after sunrise, I did not see any huge flocks of birds within binocular range. So, top water fishing was not looking good. Instead of trolling I decided to motor around looking for marks on my fish finder and try my hand at jigging. Not all areas with fish marks produced. But I managed to find some willing rockfish in about 30 ft. of water. Most of the fish were fractions undersized. I came home with one keeper. I also picked up several black sea bass - nothing big. I did try trolling later in the morning for about 45 minutes without any luck. After the fun of catching fish with a jig. I did not have too much enthusiasm to continue trolling.

rock.jpg

bass.jpg

·
Registered
105 Posts
When you jig are you using buck tails? If so anything on the buck tail like a sassy shad or anything else?

- - - Updated - - -

never mind, should have looked more closely at your picture.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you jig are you using buck tails? If so anything on the buck tail like a sassy shad or anything else?
Today I used a 4 oz. Sea Striker Got-Cha metal lure. Nothing added. Every jigger migrates to their favorite special super secret lure. But.....I really think that finding the fish is the hardest part. After locating fish, any of the popular jigs will likely work (Sea Striker, Hyper Striper, BKD's, Li'l Bunker, Li'l Jimy, Sting Silvers, Hopkins, Diamond jigs etc.). A good friend out-jigs me with no-name stuff bought on e-bay. Yes, there are times when certain lures or colors work better than others. But, as Capt. Bob Reed says: "Find the Fish".

·
Registered
374 Posts
Nice! I have never tried metal jigs, but I picked up a Sting Silver to try if life ever stops getting in the way of my fishing. What type of knot are you using in the picture, a type of loop knot?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice! I have never tried metal jigs, but I picked up a Sting Silver to try if life ever stops getting in the way of my fishing. What type of knot are you using in the picture, a type of loop knot?
Sting Silver is a great lure. I think I caught one of my first jigged rockfish with a pink and white Sting Silver.

I normally use a double Palomar knot when ever I can. I believe the Palomar won the North American Fisherman "Knot Wars" competition a few years back.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I like to use jigs with a single hook. On jigs with a treble I'll swap it out for a single. I release most everything I catch and try and be as easy on a fish as I can. I'm sure it's no picnic for them getting even a single hook through the face but a treble can really do a lot of damage.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks for the report. Are you jigging off of the bottom? I have never caught much jigging, always been trolling or casting topwater. I have some jigs, bkd's and am going to give vertical jigging a shot tomorrow. (that sounds so nice, I haven't been fishing in a while)

From what I understand, you drop the jig to the bottom, pull it up quickly, let it fall while maintaining line tension until it hits bottom, then pull it up again. Correct?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts