Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
this is something that makes perfect sense, something I've known all along, but something I know a lot of us ignore or neglect. I recently replaced 2 reels on my "HO rods" (loaners I have for family and friends new to jigging) and spooled them up with fresh braid. I COULD NOT BELIEVE how much the sensitivity of those outfits improved. I was able to detect bottom in faster current and with lighter jigheads than an identical outfit I was using side by side (same BPS extreme rod, same 10 pound PowerPor) that has line that's at least 2 years old.

In general, I don't change out my line until it starts breaking... but if you look at old braided line the diameter is much larger than new line... and of course the drag on your line increases. Still good from a strength perspective... but no good from a drag against current/wind perspective... I wouldn't doubt if the surface area was double what my freshly spooled reels had. I'm telling you now it makes a huge difference.

I'll either be reversing the line or replacing it on all my jigging setups immediately. They all have braid that is at least a year old. It's a $10 fix per reel that made a night and day difference in my fishing. In fact, I bet they save me $10 in lost lead/BKDs at the rips on the first trip.

PS - that new braid will slice your finger A LOT faster than old braid too :oops:

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Great Idea JK..:thumbup:

A buddy gave me this tip for reversing your braid:

tie the tag end of the braid (old end) to a rear cleat
put boat in gear (idle)
open bail/put reel in freespool
let out braid until you get to end
cut braid from backing mono-let braid trail behind boat
take the tag end of braid (old end) and tie to mono backing
Reel in braid under tension.

dont let braid get caught in propdoh
dont let go of braiddohdoh

Havent tried it yet but plan to.

:jackthread:

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool tip. I've let out line behind a boat (no lure/hook... just line) when I've felt it was twisted too much... old tip my dad taught me. It's surprising how much drag a full spool of line creates with nothing on the end of it. Anyway... just be prepared for the "tension" to be significant, which might be a pain when you are trying to retie to the backing (I use just braid with electrical tape to keep it from spinning). I'd take the boat out of gear until you get your backing/braid reconnected.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Great Idea JK..:thumbup:

A buddy gave me this tip for reversing your braid:

tie the tag end of the braid (old end) to a rear cleat
put boat in gear (idle)
open bail/put reel in freespool
let out braid until you get to end
cut braid from backing mono-let braid trail behind boat
take the tag end of braid (old end) and tie to mono backing
Reel in braid under tension.