Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jonah,

In a past thread you made a comment that the 498C was good, and with the blue chart chip it was even better. I just wanted to verify this since I can buy a cheaper unit without the preloaded chart in the 498 and just get the chip for it. Would that be a better way to go?

Thanks,

Dal

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I bought the predecessor 198C and to wit is the best combo unit Ive ever used. The 198 had a seperate antenna, dunno if the new one has one built in. The blue chip and bright screen make it a great unit. The blue chip came preloaded, shouldnt be much difference between 2 units.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Jonah,

In a past thread you made a comment that the 498C was good, and with the blue chart chip it was even better. I just wanted to verify this since I can buy a cheaper unit without the preloaded chart in the 498 and just get the chip for it. Would that be a better way to go?

Thanks,

Dal
Hey Dal,
IMHO... the preloaded chart is fine and the information/ unit work fine out of the box, but the bluechart chip offers 2 things (at least) that make it more attractive for us. First (obviously) the Blue can provide updated chart info with a new chip annually, and second it gives us an additional page/ screen that provides the map/ course/ speed/ bearing/ sonar all on one screen. I also think the Blue chart offers higher quality information... a tad more "sophisticated"
Again, as it is the unit is fine, but on the screen-page/ sonar screen that is preloaded that shows map course (gps)/ sonar, it's split to the point that the map course is just the top 1/2 of the screen, "fishfinder" screen bottom half which is fine for what you're doing... with the blue option we have chart/gps 3/4 of the screen, and then the other info in table form at the top, which is better for our application.
If I've done a poor job of explaining, after only one cup of coffee, feel free to let me know.
Take care... Jonah

1 - 3 of 3 Posts