Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted on Boat Talk but thought I may get good feed back from Fly Fishing community as well

Thinking of moving up from a JB 18 to a JB 23

Currently have a load rite roller trailer for JB 18, but am considering a bunk for the 23

Any thoughts on a Venture bunk for JB 23 ,launching in Eastern Shore of Va ramps without fighting tides for deeper water

May look at load rite SA bunk but trying to save some $

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Bunks with slicks, no question. Drive on drive off. No hull gouges. Low profile. And much lower maintenance work and cost. If you trailer a lot, get the best you can afford.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Having gone to a float on alumimium trailer I would never go back to rollers. You do have to watch how deep you put the trailer in. Too far is as much trouble as not far enough. Most of them mine included have a fairly long tongue which gives you a lot of latitude in launching. The Jones bros boats are not so deep V either which should make launching fairly easy.

While my boat is not built like a Jones I launch a lot at Oyster and have never had any problem I would ask Jones what they think, could be they have sold to someone on the EShore.

Boats

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've owned a lot of trailers and for the money I'd buy a Loadmaster. I've got two of them. I've got a 17' JB that I've got a loadmaster drive on and it is great. They put topnotch parts, tires, axles, etc and really care about their product. I just picked up a new trailer last week for my Contender and its a Loadmaster with all stainless hardware and stainless kodiak brakes. Loadmaster will even set up the trailer for your particular boat when they are building it so that no adjustment is necessary. The trailer I just purchased would be the same one you'd want for a 23 JB. Roller trailers are too much work trying to keep the rollers working and it good shape and it only takes one to collapse to gouge the heck out of your hull, not to mention they really are not designed to be driven onto when loading and you can easily damage the boat and trailer doing same.

If you are going to tow a lot as noted buy the best you can get. Don't cut corners on the trailer or buy cheap, you will regret it when you are stuck on the side of the road.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I've got to echo cutter. I have an aluim. bunk trailer and love it. It will support your boat hull much better then a roller trailer for over the road hulling. I guess I've been luck in that most of the ramps I've used except up in montuk, were deep enought. I don't know about all the ramps in Va. but most are fine. You may want to talk to those guys on the Va. board about that. One thing about an Alium. trailer that I was told and it does help if that is the way you go. put anoids on the back if you don't have the time to keep after it when using it in the salt. it will save the frame alot of harm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts