Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never been to the quarrey before. Is it worth the trip right now? Any directions? Is this a place that I can get away from the crowd a little or am I going to be shoulder to shoulder? Thought that I may try a new spot out. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
It's been slow lately.On the pretty days,evenings and on weekends from sun up til dark it will have as many as 12 shoreline bucket fishermen & up to 6 Bass boats jockeying for position.Not many fish have been taken lately.Right now ,Thursday 11:45 am,there's 2 bass boats & a few bucket fishermen.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you want I can show you some secret ways to get back there that no one will be around you.

There was tons of cars parked along the side of the road all week.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's been slow lately.On the pretty days,evenings and on weekends from sun up til dark it will have as many as 12 shoreline bucket fishermen & up to 6 Bass boats jockeying for position.Not many fish have been taken lately.Right now ,Thursday 11:45 am,there's 2 bass boats & a few bucket fishermen.
I was just wondering do you have a view of the quarry from your back door?

·
1,295 Posts
Directions to the Quarry

Torn into Joppatown off Route 40. Go past the shopping center and make a right turn onto Shore Drive. Proceed down Shore Drive. Your first go through woods on the right and then a field. At the end of the field you'll get into some trees on the right and see everyone parked there on weekends.

Now this might sound like BS but it's the truth!

Go to the last light pole on the right side of the street before the first house on the right. That's where the trail goes on. (You'll see all the trash around it and not all from fisherman)
Go through the hole in the fence ( watch it if you are tall for the barbed wire.)
Follow the trail across a pallet spanning a little ditch. The trail wil then curve to the left.
Just follow the trail. It will go toward the left and under the power lines. Just past the power lines you'll see the quarry.

Crappies were HOT, HOT, HOT before all the ice. They should bust lose again as soon as this weather settles down a little bit to a more consistent pattern.

Pleaser remember to carry your own trash out and maybe a little more left by others. If this place becomes a trash dump it will end up like the Carroll Island Power Plant and we don't want that to happen.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Torn into Joppatown off Route 40. Go past the shopping center and make a right turn onto Shore Drive. Proceed down Shore Drive. Your first go through woods on the right and then a field. At the end of the field you'll get into some trees on the right and see everyone parked there on weekends.

Now this might sound like BS but it's the truth!

Go to the last light pole on the right side of the street before the first house on the right. That's where the trail goes on. (You'll see all the trash around it and not all from fisherman)
Go through the hole in the fence ( watch it if you are tall for the barbed wire.)
Follow the trail across a pallet spanning a little ditch. The trail wil then curve to the left.
Just follow the trail. It will go toward the left and under the power lines. Just past the power lines you'll see the quarry.

Crappies were HOT, HOT, HOT before all the ice. They should bust lose again as soon as this weather settles down a little bit to a more consistent pattern.

Pleaser remember to carry your own trash out and maybe a little more left by others. If this place becomes a trash dump it will end up like the Carroll Island Power Plant and we don't want that to happen.
The road you turn onto off rt 40 is Joppafarm rd.

If you do park right before the last house it will cut the walk in half.

If your looking to buy a house in the area walk across the street to Steen Properties.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Best post I've seen in a while

This is the type of info that makes me proud to be a member of TF. I've got the same sort of directions to a great early season carpin' hole in Alexandria near the Birchmere theatre. Go through many fences in the 'hood, throw in some corn for chum, catch big fish. It's a blast!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I fished the quarry today-one of Capt Nick's bucket fisherman. First time I've been able to get out for a few weeks. There were several guys fishing but it was not so crowded that it was a problem. They were catching some crappie mostly on minnows but a few also on artificials like panfish assassins and trout magnets. I caught a bass on the first cast and went on to catch 28 bass anywhere from 8" up to about 2 lbs. on a piece of rubber worm on a a 1/4 oz. jighead. I also caught two small yellow perch. I had kind of expected to see more perch, but they may be either further up stream or already gone. I missed a lot of hits and lost several to the rebar and logs. All in all, it was a pretty good day. The tide was way out and didn't start back in until after noon then the wind came up really hard about 1:30 and the fish just shut down.

A DNR officer was there checking licenses. One of the guys fishing beside me didn't have a license. He told the officer that the wasn't going to lie to him because he had been fishing and didn't have a tidal license. The officer was really good about it. He just told the guy not to fish anymore and went on checking everyone else. The guy sat out until his friends finished up and then they left.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Absolutely priceless and only on TF. I love it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow. even more info than I had hoped for. Thanks. I will need to give it a try and see what happens. Thanks. May try Sun (even if it is just for a look around, weather permitting).

·
Registered
255 Posts
No kidding about fish shutting down after wind picked up. Unfortuneatly I didn't get there until after 2:00pm ended up catching 1 crappie in 4 hours along with a few misses. Didn't see much else caught up there either. By the way, i heard there's some good sized yellow perch in there, but when you say they may have moved upstream, do you mean the little gunpowder? For that matter do they move up the little or big gunpowder river? and do people fish for them there/

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
There are some nice yellows in there some times. I am guessing that they may have moved up the Little Gunpowder. It broke over into the quarry a couple of years ago an has filled a lot of the upper area with silt. It might be worth taking a look over in the stream there are, or at least used to be, some good holes just outside the fence but I haven't been over there in a couple of years. Where were you fishing? I was on the point where it breaks back around into the small cove.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was right there further out on the point at first, but I move around a bit you probably saw me, I was wearing the black and gold jacket (and no I'm not a Steelers fan) which was my undoing later in the day when the winds picked up and the temps dropped about 20 degrees (not a very warm jacket). I've been wondering about the yellow perch though, I mean why would they run only up in Gray's run which gets a little too crowded in such a small area for my tastes. How about a few of the other creeks in the area, James run, Otter point creek/ winters run, and Little and big Gunpowder rivers. Last year I was fishing at Gray's and wasn't much so i ran up to James run for a while and caught about 10 yellows (no keepers) in about 20 minutes. There seems to be a hole right before the bridge on the southbound side of rte. 40 was where I was catching them, but only on that one day. Tried there several times after that and nada. Would like to try the little or big gunpowders, but don't know much about about them.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Last time I walked the lower Little Gunpowder, which was about 5 years ago, I came upon the mother-of-all log jams in the main channel right where the Little Gunpowder flows past the Joppa Quarry. This log jam pretty much totally blocked the flow. It looked like it had been there for years. The flow backed up and was forced to jump the bank and cut several new side channels that flowed away in various directions, none of which re-entered the old channel. Nothing would get through this log jam, not even water. One of the new side channels flowed directly to the Joppa Quarry and ended in a 2 foot drop into the quarry. It was spring when I was there. There were 100s of herring stacked up at the base of this 2 foot drop whose upstream migration had been blocked by this one little drop. But that was 5 years ago. I don't know the current status of this blockage.

I have no doubt that if this log jam were removed that anadromous fish (perch, herring & probably hickories and many others) would go way up the Little Gunpowder to spawn. (its all on State Park Land too - open access). I should add that this would be no small job. This log jam is waaay too big for manual labor alone. The material in this log jam would easily fill a half dozen or more 20 ton dump trucks.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I fished the quarry today-one of Capt Nick's bucket fisherman. First time I've been able to get out for a few weeks. There were several guys fishing but it was not so crowded that it was a problem. They were catching some crappie mostly on minnows but a few also on artificials like panfish assassins and trout magnets. I caught a bass on the first cast and went on to catch 28 bass anywhere from 8" up to about 2 lbs. on a piece of rubber worm on a a 1/4 oz. jighead. I also caught two small yellow perch. I had kind of expected to see more perch, but they may be either further up stream or already gone. I missed a lot of hits and lost several to the rebar and logs. All in all, it was a pretty good day. The tide was way out and didn't start back in until after noon then the wind came up really hard about 1:30 and the fish just shut down.

A DNR officer was there checking licenses. One of the guys fishing beside me didn't have a license. He told the officer that the wasn't going to lie to him because he had been fishing and didn't have a tidal license. The officer was really good about it. He just told the guy not to fish anymore and went on checking everyone else. The guy sat out until his friends finished up and then they left.
Jerry The fishermen reading this will think it's Bass paradise.It's not always that easy.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well i found it sun after going to the fishing show. thanks for teh directions, never would have found it without them. tried for about 1hr with artificials. cought 2 pieces of rebar and 1 stump. i saw 3 guys there but they packed up as i arrived. found a spot that looks good for crappie. will need a few minows and some better weather than sun and i will try again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts