Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,006 Posts
I am sorry to announce that although this is an oustanding catch by a young angler, the fish will not qualify for an IGFA Junior World Record.

This is why I prefer to gather all the facts and information prior to making any premature posts on IGFA eligibilty...this helps avaoid embarrassment to the angler and his family.

Please congratulate Gus on an oustanding catch, none the less. :yes:
Thanks

· Registered
1,006 Posts
Posted by Gus' father on another board:

Well, after further looking at the rules of the IFGA, and speaking to Julie Ball, we have decided not to enter Gus's 63 pound 2 ounce Striper for a junior record. Here is the reason: In order to qualify, the angler must not allow any other person on the boat to touch the rod. When Gus got the rod out of the rod holder, he had to climb over the transom to get the rod out. Once he had the rod out, he had to climb back over the transom and he handed the rod to Ken (Phil's Brother in law) in order to do so. Ken did not reel or pull or do anything but hold the rod so that Gus could get back into a safe position and then he handed him back the rod. This action disqualifies his fish to be entered into the book. I know in my heart that Gus caught that fish from start to finish, but in order to be as honest with ourselfs as possible, we had to mention that he did pass the rod off for a brief second. Breaks my heart, but I would rather be honest and teach him to do the right thing than to lie in order to get him a record. Oh well! There are more big ones swimming out there! We'll just have to go get him another one! It is still a fish of a lifetime, and I am going to get it mounted for him.

-Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.