Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Semester ends on friday and have been real itchy to catch some rocks. I have some friends coming down early next week from pittsburgh and i want to put them on some night time schoolie action. This time last year we crushed them at the JRB flipping storms but with the water being so much cooler this year im not sure where to try first. Any suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Talked to some friends that are fishing the MMBT right now and they already had 6 fish within a pretty short period of time... Biggest so far was 24"...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The JRB sucks. Small fish and high PCB levels. Why would you want to fish there?
Last year the smallest fish we kept was 24" and the largest 20lbs with several slot fish in the 15lb range we released. We fished there because it was cheap, close to the house, and catching anything over 10lbs on spinning rods with 12lb mono is a blast.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Id say try for the M&M or HRBT it was slow at the m&m Monday in the day time. But i heard the HRBT was doing good at night.. good luck

·
Registered
406 Posts
actually my friends were fishing the jrb last night... i thought they were at the m&m but originally... they caught a 4 man limit quickly and rolled out...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Fished JRB last night. Wierd tide. It was slack in the middle and outgoing at the end of the pier. Caught and release a 32 incher and then headed in just in time for the rains. I'll try again next chance I get. We just couldn't get a good running tide. Very Very shallow leaving the docks at low tide right now. We read 1.3 feet coming in. rubbed bottom in and out. If you have a bunch of big boys with you, low tide might not work well. Go slow leaving the dock and about half way to the channel markers. then you can hit it.

To the guys running without lights last night on a bass tracker style boat, TURN THEM ON BEFORE I RUN YOU OVER!!! Just because you see me, doesn't mean I see or hear you over my engine.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fished JRB last night. Wierd tide. It was slack in the middle and outgoing at the end of the pier. Caught and release a 32 incher and then headed in just in time for the rains. I'll try again next chance I get. We just couldn't get a good running tide. Very Very shallow leaving the docks at low tide right now. We read 1.3 feet coming in. rubbed bottom in and out. If you have a bunch of big boys with you, low tide might not work well. Go slow leaving the dock and about half way to the channel markers. then you can hit it.
Yea i have had weak current problems there before but usually can find some if you run the length of the bridge, it is usually much different on the newport news side than it is on the smithfield end. And as for the shallow water at the ramp, it has gotten ridiculous. Last year i had to push my 17ft Whaler with the landing net on the bottom in 6 inches of water to get back at low tide. These boys are down to fish all night so regardless we will stay out through several tide changes. Thanks again for all the info. Good Fishin.

·
Registered
406 Posts
by the way isle of wight county recently purchased property on the isle of wight side of the bridge which they are talking about building another public boat ramp on with parking... it's been in the local paper (smithfield times) and has gotten varied opinions since the newport news hunington park ramp is right on the other side of the bridge... not sure when construction is planned but i'm sure we'll here more about it as things develop...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts