Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my Judge Yachts 27 Chesapeake with a 2009 Honda 225 swinging a 15.5x15 4 blade SS prop. She was LOADED FOR BEAR running back into an outgoing tide in the mouth of the Potomac in calm water. (I should have taken a shot running with the tide :pp ) There was 5 on board, nearly full fuel, cooler filled with our limit of striped bass and ice, full fishing gear for running a full spread with planer boards (17 poles and tackle to go with it) and misc. stuff.

27.8-28.2mph burning 9.4-9.6gph, turning just under 4400 rpms. I have seen as high as a little over 3.3mpg with regular load. with this full load she hit just over 39mph at a tick under 6000rpms

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I believe it! I was on Jim's boat (contender21) at the wish a fish for the first time and was amazed at how much better his fuel economy was than my boat (sailfish 23/F225). Great shot......since seeing is believing.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From talking to Jim and hearing his economy and performance helped convince me to go ahead with the purchase! I havent been disappointed. The Honda is silky smooth and quiet and has a lot more marbles than I thought it would.

Did you get to DE Bay this fall Steve? I had a couple of trips planned, one on my boat, but got blown out both times. Given the fall we had here on the Chesapeake I dont think I missed out :))

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Impressive numbers, esp. for a 27-footer. I know we go back and forth about petrol policy issues, but I think you're proving that you can have your cake and eat it too! (i.e.- enjoy a large, comfortable, fast ride without owning your own gasoline tank farm).

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks like you need to trim down the port side, or tell one of the fellas to move to port.
I pulled the wheel slightly to starboard so you could see the fuel flow meter. Unfortuantely I took like 3 other shots only to realize that the spoke of the steering wheel was blocking the fuel flow meter. If you look to the right of the fuel flow meter where the QL tab switches are I actually have a little tab to lean the boat starboard to level the boat when runninng straight as I had 3 people on the port side with two in the dinette. I was only a slight lean and the tilt of the photo probably is partially due to me not holding the camera straight.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love the tabs. They are quick to respond, auto retract, have position indicators, etc. They are said to be more fuel efficient than regular tabs too but I cannot compare since they are the only tab I have run on this hull (my father has bennetts on his 2001 Judge but he has twin 130 Hondas and is running Judges older hull). They respond much quicker than the bennetts I have owned on previous boats. I did have one issue with them soon after taking delivery and took the boat back to Judge and they fixed the same day. Other than that they have been perfect and would be my first choice in tabs if I had another boat built. (never owned lencos). I now have over 83 hours on my boat. Time will tell their durability.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Greg,
The tabs seem good, but do you notice that it feels like hte boat drags when you deploy them? I was on a boat with them a while back and they seemed to create quite a bit more drag than regular tabs. You dont notice any slowdown, or drag with regular tabs, but these seemed to do a little of both. The owner had just installed them himself and he said the same thing. He said they work better but they did affect his fuel economy a little due to being less "aquadymanic" if that is a word??

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe he is mistaken about them being less Hydrodynamic. As Volvo indicates, there is a lot less surface area dragging through the water. If you look it only deploys a maximum of a couple of inches. Volvo figured out that all you have to do is deflect the water some to create transom lift. While the traditional tabs do this through a bigger plate the plate must be deployed much deeper in to the water to create the same amount of lift as the little lip on the QL's. A simple little bump of the actuator is quickly felt. Pushing them down quite a bit can really burry the bow in the water. i have found even by bumping one or two knotches that I pick up speed and economy depending upon my load and sea conditions. As far as slowing down or dragging that depends on how far they are deployed just as my bennetts were on my Prol-line 2950 and Pro-line 231.

The only question I would have about the QL's is their effectivenes at slower speeds coming on plane on a deep v boat. a traditional tab extendes the running surface of a boat which may help a boat plane sooner. However despite the 45 degree entry, 24 degree midship, the transom deadrise on my boat is around 10 dregrees so it planes quickly and hold plane to a very slow speed. I think I was fiddling with it when I had TF'er Megabyte out with me and we were on plane down around 12 mph if not slower I think. (I didnt take notes and it was back in mid Nov)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts