Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The super bite I was on for 6 weeks south of TPL ended with a Skunk last week.

With all the good reports north of the bridge, I took the same spread I have been running with boards and big baits up north to give it a shot. Since I couldn't find a crew I went solo and only ran 17 instead of 19 rods. The action on the board rods was non-stop from 7-11 when I gave up on trying to keep lines in the water and just stowed them as they came in. I ended up with 9 fish over 28" all from board rods with biggest 34 and 38". My boat rods with small lures hit just 3 unders and 3 shorts. I might try some big baits on boat rods next trip.

Not a single tail was bitten off. Chart or white didn't matter. Best depth was 30-40'.

It is definitely strange for July, seemed more like mid Trophy Season.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Crossed the bridge at 6:45 am this morning several boat on north side at least 10 and more coming.
I bet tomorrow it will look like a spring weekend there !

·
Registered
365 Posts
On Monday I had the entire Eastern Bay to myself. It was a great day for a slow boat ride but not a good day for catching fish. Last year the fish were in Eastern Bay and nowhere else. Now it looks like they are in nowhere else.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had another great trip this morning... 4 overs up to 33" and 5 unders.
For those that are interested in my spread, see my previous post:
http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/sho...south-of-TPL?p=2777265&highlight=#post2777265
Only change is that I have eliminated the mini umbmrellas with in-lines, and made the board lines a bit longer 110 down to 85. One other successful change I made today is I changed spoon spreader on board rod back 250 to a 2/3oz white bloody point tandem with 6/9" shads (that is the only 6" shad in the spread). It caught a 31" fish on the 9" shad and a 21" on the 6" shad today. I don't use any in-lines on board rods.

·
Registered
11,242 Posts
I love it when fishermen say "The Big ones are only here in the spring so that's when we have to fish for them." The big ones have always been here in the summer for those that know how and where to fish for them"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts