Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry no fishing reports...yet.
Instead of bringing two batteries (one for use one for a spare) on the boat this year I want to carry a Jump n Start battery charger. Does anyone know if these work with Marine cranking batteries and if so, where do you attach the negative clamp. Sounds like a silly question, but the instructions for the automobile describe attaching the negative clamp to the automobile frame and not to the negative battery terminal. Any thoughts while the water is still cold and muddy. I don't want to blow up the battery or injur anyone.

·
Registered
861 Posts
We use them here at the fire station and they work great. The new ones don't have a Negative/ Positive side. You just hook them to either side of the battery. Not sure how that works, but it does. The have plenty of power!

Mushy

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
If you are talking about one of those portable rechargable jump starters, yes, it will work. You can attach the negative cable to the negative post of the battery, but be advised...lead acid batteries generate hydrogen gas while charging, this gas can accumulate around the battery and be ignited by the arc when connecting the jumper cables. Best practice is to blow or fan the area around the battery before making the connection, to ensure the gas is dispersed. Don't get near it with a smoke hanging from your lips, either. On the topic of portable rechargeable jump starters, my experience has been that although the directions on mine say not to leave it plugged in after it indicates a charge, after about a week or 2 off the charger, it needs to be "topped off". So I suggest plugging the "boost box" into the wall the night before you plan to be on the boat, just to make sure it's fully topped off.
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I make sure I've got mine every trip I take. If nothing else it comes in handy for running my 300watt inverter for small appliances on the boat.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Your engine block is the common ground on your boat, like the frame of your car. Just stick the negative clamp on any exposed metal of your engine block, I typically use any accesory mounting bolt. Those booster packs work well, but remember to keep it fully charged and also remember that they won't last as long as a battery if your problem requires extended cranking.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Key Reist Kevin... is there anything you don't have pictures of?? (besides Echo and the sheep with the garter) :clap: :clap: :D

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Key Reist Kevin... is there anything you don't have pictures of?? (besides Echo and the sheep with the garter) :clap: :clap: :D
Unfortunately, no, Kevin has photographic documentation of every inch of his boat. And is more than happy to share!

When I first got my boat, it had a single battery that was a deepcycle. Every time I cold-started the engine, I'd need to put the jump station on. Now that I've added a marine starting battery, I haven't used the jump station once (knock on wood!).

Those things are useful! Don't know you boat & engine, but if its a big engine (i.e. 200+ hp), make sure the jump station has enough cranking amps. They come in different sizes/amperage.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
GD it Stonewall you beat me to the punch !!!

Kevin has EVERYTHING.. If the Skipper had half the sheet Kevins own, Gilligans Island would have been a mini series..

About the picture.. The sheep had a THONG and not a garter...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I want to see a picture of the garter and probally the sheep too:eek2: :eek2:
But we"ll leave that alone:clapping2: :clapping2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts