Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry to report that it was not a rockfish, but a sailfish in a little southern fishing. We fished the Jupiter Sailfish Tournament against the best of the best sailfish anglers in the world. A total of 38 boats entered the two day world wind $300k in winnings tournament. I thought it would be nice to get to some warm weather and while Palm Beach was warm, it was not all that warm.

The first day we headed out of the inlet to be welcome by sea smoke and 5-8ft seas. The sails love the rough weather so we had our hopes high. The first day we managed 23 for 30 bites and led the tournament for live bait fishing. The second day the seas laid down along with the bite and we ended up with 9 and lost two that just came unbuttoned.

We manged to finish 5th overall, while not great, still a strong finish for going against the best of the best sailfish anglers.

Back in MD for experiencing this cold wet weather and planning the next warm weather fishing trip in a week or two, I's thinking a little warmer weather and calmer seas stalking bonefish on the flats with the long rod:))

I did not get to take a ton of pics because it was so rough and we were so busy catching fish, but here are a few for your viewing enjoyment.

Heading out of Lake Worth Inlet

David with a release

A few shots of the seas

David fighting a sail in the wave

Day 1 big shots

Cool boat truck that Grand Slam Outfitters had built. They drive it around Jupiter, pretty bad

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Brandon the silver sailfish derby in Palm Beach landed 677 sails on 35 boats and hooked close to 900 the week before.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Great job Brandon. Love the pics. I used to fish for sails down in Jupiter ten years ago. Sure do miss it. Glad that you guys had a good time!

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.
Wino, my friends boat fished the Derby the week before. I had some other stuff going on and did not make it, but fished it last year and it was a lot of fun. I thought they caught over 735 this year? Any which way they said there were a heck of a lot of sails landed. I think in this two day tournament there was over 400 landed or something like that. The first day it was just crazy with sails surfing down sea:))
Will look you up next time I am down there, probably in a week or two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts