Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently there have been 2 more encounters with pupping Bull sharks in the middle bay. One guy was in a kayak and it broke his rod. Bull sharks are EXTREMELY aggressive sharks, one of 2 that I've ever had to kill for charging me. The other was a Tiger in The Keys that didn't take a swat to the nose as a hint to GTFO. It was M's second dive and she was apprehensive and we added a shark to the mix which was no fun.

Reactions: TDog3

·
Registered
15,281 Posts
I have never had problems diving with sharks. Just remain calm push them off at the top of their head if they get close. When I spear fished and they came around, I surrendered my catch.i was more bothered by barracuda and moray eels........Gary

·
Premium Member
26,534 Posts
Bull sharks are one of few sharks that will attack for no real reason. One theory is to protect territory.

I was diving Hacketts point one year in August. Few Bulls had been reported off Mattapeake area , not uncommon to hear that time of year.

15 minutes into dive - had very odd feeling that a big Bull was around. Could not see but a few inches - feeling got worse , to point I aborted dive.

Dove a lot before and after this in the bay - never had that feeling before nor after.

I've dove with Bull sharks in Costa Rica - they would circle but veer off once made eye contact.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cedar Point Light.

I've dove with hundreds of sharks and as long as they kept their distance we had a good day. if they came in too close they got a swat on the nose. If that didn't work, a 12 ga slug ruined heir day which only happened twice in the thousand plus hours I spent under the ocean. The one in The Keys was very aggressive and I had 3 other people with me that I had to think of and I wasn't taking any chances after the hit failed to deter it. The collector we were diving with warned me that there were big Tigers in the area that we would be diving.M wanted to see a shark, after that she said she'd seen enough sharks, lol.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Cedar Point Light.

I've dove with hundreds of sharks and as long as they kept their distance we had a good day. if they came in too close they got a swat on the nose. If that didn't work, a 12 ga slug ruined heir day which only happened twice in the thousand plus hours I spent under the ocean. The one in The Keys was very aggressive and I had 3 other people with me that I had to think of and I wasn't taking any chances after the hit failed to deter it. The collector we were diving with warned me that there were big Tigers in the area that we would be diving.M wanted to see a shark, after that she said she'd seen enough sharks, lol.
You saying you killed one with a bang stick?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Bull sharks are one of few sharks that will attack for no real reason. One theory is to protect territory.

I was diving Hacketts point one year in August. Few Bulls had been reported off Mattapeake area , not uncommon to hear that time of year.

15 minutes into dive - had very odd feeling that a big Bull was around. Could not see but a few inches - feeling got worse , to point I aborted dive.

Dove a lot before and after this in the bay - never had that feeling before nor after.

I've dove with Bull sharks in Costa Rica - they would circle but veer off once made eye contact.
Always listen to that inner voice. 🥲 It saved my life .

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You saying you killed one with a bang stick?
Yes, it was 10'. Later in early December George killed a 17 footer trying to take the fish he just speared. I can tell you this, if I saw a 17' Tiger my wet suit would be no more good.

Skip, I've had that feeling as well doing rescues many miles out to sea at night. Sharks think the rotor wash is jumping tuna, it's like ringing the dinner bell. Only saw one and that was enough.

The shark that broke the rod took a Rockfish that was hooked. With them being protected I think we're going to have more encounters with sharks.

·
Registered
12,097 Posts
If you don't swim or kayak in their neighborhood, they won;t bother you, Good common sense. Stay away from where trouble lurks and you won't likely encounter any. Why do people want to kll sharks when it's them that go in their neighborhood knowing what the cocsequences might be? No one with any good sense should be in the water with dangerous sharks.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I want to see sharks up close I will go to this address 501 E Pratt St, Baltimore, MD 21202
99 times out of 100 they leave, I want to be prepared for that 1 percent.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yup, Bulls, tigers, and oceanic whites aren't mistaking you for anything, they are going to chow down on you given the chance. I've read that bulls have the highest concentration of testosterone of any animal. The fact that their habitat brings them into closer contact with folks, makes them far more likely to chew on divers, swimmers, and others in the water.
"Mr. Hooper, that is the USS Indianapolis..."

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't want to kill them, but when lives are on the line, I had no choice. At the end of the day, I'm going home.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When you want a real hairraiser try cutting up and elk and have a grizzly sneak in on you and stand up to say that’s my elk.
He'd be saying hello to my little friend. Then I'd go change my messed up pants, lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts