Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I thought I had gotten the knack for ID'ing fish in the Chesapeake, I just received one from a Special Angler fishing off the Cape Charles pier. This will be his 13 species caught this year, once I can ID it.

IMG_2414Compressed.jpg

The rest of this young man's twelve other species catches are provided on our catch-and-release leaderboard: http://content.fishdispatch.com/Leaderboards/SpecialAnglerVMRCLeaderboard.html

Thanks for your help on this.

BTW, we're considering opening up a cash division that would be open to all for the 2016 calendar year. We currently have a cash division for non JR Special Anglers, but we'll look at doing this for an additional Open division and a Ladies division.

Joe sends . . .

P.S. For those interested, I just published our "Road to a Championship" video for our Special Anglers getting ready for the showdown at Colonial Beach in a couple weeks. Please cheer on all our pirates slugging it out over those rockfish up there.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... not sure about that as I compare images on Google of a Bank Seabass: saltwater_sbassban.jpg

I see vertical stripes on the reference fish, but not on the fish that was caught .. but that face looks similar.

Here is a better oriented image of the same fish from the original picture (just cropped it):
MysterFish.JPG

Definitely different fish.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think Fishoifc wins on this Joe.

sand perch appears to produce images that closely match your angler's catch.

Found this: sand-perch.jpg

That pic is the closest match I've seen to the catch.

"The sand perch inhabit inshore waters and usually associated with sea-grass beds. They range from Virginia to Bahamas, Gulf of Mexico, South to Uruguay but absent from much of the Carribean.

The Sand Perch is often caught by fisherman as an accidental catch when targeting other fish; Usually thrown back. Interestingly the sand perch has both male and female organs all at the same time! This is known as being a hermaphrodite."

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right ... thanks to both of you. I've updated our leaderboard and notified the angler. It showed up on another website too: www.floridafgofishing.com

I'm surprised these unusual species are showing up so late in the season ... but maybe the waters are a little warmer now?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts