Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in time for our offshore season....higher freakin gas prices. Oh joy. I can hear the sound of my empty wallet already because I'm still going.

______Daily Press Article_________
Low fuel costs fading
The cost rose to an average $2.33 a gallon in Hampton Roads and will likely keep rising.
BY MIKE HOLTZCLAW
928-6479
March 6, 2007
Johnny Cicero shook his head as he filled his truck's tank with diesel fuel in Newport News Monday morning.

It's costing more to do that these days, and no one knows that better than a man who drives a truck as part of his daily job.

"The price of gas affects me quite a bit," said the owner of Cicero's Complete Yard Maintenance in Williamsburg. "I was just commenting on that to a buddy of mine the other day. We were asking, 'How can it jump up so quickly like that?' It's puzzling."

Gasoline prices in Hampton Roads have increased 32 cents per gallon in the past month.

According to figures compiled by AAA, a gallon of gasoline in Hampton Roads costs $2.33, up from $2.01 a month ago. Those prices are lower than the national average but still reflect a nationwide rise - the average price across the country is $2.50, up from $2.19 last month.

Rising gas prices have become common in March, as refineries - such as Giant Industries in Yorktown - run down their winter supplies while preparing to switch over to production of cleaner-burning blends of gas used during the summer. The switch is required by environmental rules related to the time of year when Americans do more driving.

"It's really hard when you've got to drive a lot of miles to make your living," Cicero said. "To drive from Gloucester to Williamsburg costs me $20 in fuel. I know a lot of companies are paying so much for gas that they eventually have to add it to the cost they charge their customers."

It's not just affecting professional drivers.

"After a while you get used to gas prices going up," said Melissa Bess of Hampton. "It was nice that they went down for a while. To be honest, that was surprising to me. But I knew they'd be going back up, so I guess that's what we're seeing right now."

A year ago, a gallon of gas cost $2.13 in Hampton Roads and $2.31 nationally. Local prices shot up to almost $3 per gallon last summer but had dipped below $2 per gallon at some local stations earlier this year. In September, some places in Hampton had gas for as low as $1.77 a gallon.

Now, they're moving back up sharply.

John Whaley, deputy director for economics at the Hampton Roads Planning District Commission, said gas prices are going to continue to go higher, though the rate of increase could slow some, at least temporarily, in the near future.

Whaley said predictions for a downturn in the U.S. economy this year, as well as recent fluctuations in the stock market, could keep the rising gas costs in check for a while.

"If the U.S. economy is growing one percentage point slower, that takes some of the pressure off oil prices," Whaley said. "When there's a concern about slower global and national economy, that lets a little steam off. If that happens, we'll still see gas prices go higher, but higher at a slower pace."

But he doesn't see them coming down anytime soon. Whaley said population growth in China and India will continue to create more demand for oil, which will drive prices higher.

"We've hit our lows, and we're headed up from here," Whaley said. "The world demand is growing rapidly, and supplies are in a sense fixed. We have petroleum reserves, and we add to the known reserves each year but not as quickly."

At virginiagbeach gasprices .com, a site that tracks prices throughout Hampton Roads, the lowest listed prices are in Smithfield - $2.23 at Southern (1229 Benn's Creek Road) and $2.25 at both Royal Farms (1201 S. Church Street) and Supreme (1101 S. Church Street).

The Texaco at 4900 Jefferson Ave. in Newport News is also listed at $2.25.

The highest listed gas price in the area is $2.50 at the BP at Route 613 and Centerville Road in Williamsburg.

·
Registered
397 Posts
A 7-11 on Rt.234 near Woodbridge went from 2.01 a gallon on friday to 2.45 this morning. WTF ???????:confused: :confused:

I guess they are getting ready to REALLY gouge us this summer.:censored: :censored:

I'm glad I filled up the boat (134 gals.) in Jan. for 1.89 a gallon.:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Alright, can someone explain this to a none business major with a little more detail than "Supply and Demand".

Why is it that it takes gas 4 weeks to drop $0.15/gallon, but it can go up $0.15/gallon in one night?

Is there some guy that is supposed to be watching the world's oil supply who sleeps for several days, then wakes up and slams the "Low on Barrels" button?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
300 gallon tank- not looking forward to that bill- might leave all my cheap friends at the dock and find some with $$$$$$$:helpsmilie:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Just put in 400+ gallons @ $2.45 in preparation for a trip this weekend. Then found out that my marina dropped their diesel to $2.40 (from $2.70). The offshore trip is now a coastal trolling trip, so consumption will be way down. But I'll be pushing some extra weight for a while.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just bought an older 28 Grady w/ t-250 2 stroke yams that holds 300! Gotta buy it on the water now. Gotta 25 Parker CC for sale w/ t-150 4 strokes that sips 14 GPH at 25 knots sitting on a trailer w/ 150 gals in it. Do I need my head examined!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
"You take Visa right?"
Might as well extend it for at least 28 billing days.
Too bad they don't raise the road tax refund amount per gallon. :helpsmilie:
Evan.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
MIke,
I'll pitch in and run with you anytime....beats the extra $70 haling mine down from richmond.

Matt
Rock Crusher
257 Seafox WA
ch 68/78

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Thank god I still keep receiving credit cards in the mail- Nothing wrong with financing your 2007 fuel for the fishing season- should have it paid off by year 2019:thumbup:

·
Registered
236 Posts
The smartest thing I did was to take over a tank from someone getting out
of the business. Wholesale for diesel is better than with the
the Marina markup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts