Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
love your tree shot -- has some very nice movement in it. we'd call it a "wall hanger". wonder what it would look like in b/w????????

bil

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dont mind at all looks great bought the wife a camera and i just started to use it and love it

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
I agree with PA Bred

I like it as a grayscale.

I played it to the stormy side a little more.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Stormy Grayscale

Sanity,

What did you do to the grayscale to give it the stormy look? It looks to be a little more than just lightening or gamma correction. I haven't played with pictures that much other than what the program will already do by mashing a button or two.

Its looks good!

Dan

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Dan,

When I used to shoot B&W and did my own developing, I fell in love with what Ansel Adams could do with light. What I did with this was to play with the levels and curves to push the blacks as best I could to "enrich" them and to get a decent white, which in this case in the patch of light under the arc of the tree.

Doing this also "popped" out areas of the clouds while shifting the sands. I'd love to have the original to try and sharpen the grasses.

One thing that you can do with some programs is duotones. You can get some wonderful tones with it that make for most interesting prints. It works well with metals and woods. I haven't played with it much but my wife is great at it.

Part of my handicap with photography is that I have a high degree of color blindness and I often have my wife work with me to "color" correct. That's one of the reasons that I play with levels, curves and light/shadow rather than with hue/saturation type work.

When I went for my draft physical was the first time that I found out that I was color blind. Me and the Sarge had a grand old time together with the Ishihara book for color vision. It finally made sense to me why people always thought that I dressed peculiarly, but fortunately it was the 60's. Later when I caught TB from a patient I had to take some drugs for 2 years that hit my color discrimination even more.

I've learned to adapt around it but my wife is my color guide when it comes to the "final print". It's the reason that I couldn't be an Interior Decorator!:D

·
Registered
368 Posts
Color Blindness

Tom,

Thanks!!! After I sent my last reply I thought to myself why not just play with the program and see what I can do. Its all digital and not like I have to pay for each print!!! Haven't had a chance to mess around with it yet, trying to get some chores done in between the rain showers!

Danged ...... what do you tell folks what color the fish are hitting when they ask ?:thumbup:

Being color blind hasn't hurt your ability to do some great things with photos!

Dan

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Dan,

I usually reply.....that the fish are hitting lures! Color don't seem to matter!:D

The bigger problem is that I can't navigate at night or tell the color of the buoys.

·
Registered
849 Posts
:thumbup: yup. that's why, when i was shooting, it was more b/w. then i learned about color. i still prefer b & w. it's more fun to look at a scene and interpret grey tones. never could master adams' zone system. i think only adams could, anyway ;-).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts