Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Outfitting a new boat and starting to buy toys. Question is, Do I really need a vhs radio. Only launch out of SPSP, Breezy, PLO, or Buzz's. Always other boats around, and always have had cell service. Do I really need to spend the money, or can I buy a bunch of BKD's and SS. Just want to know the board's opinions. Thanx.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I hate to reply first to anything, but a working VHF radio is always a really good thing to have. Safety wise it is a good thing. Cell phones have a tendency to fall in the water during times of need. My 0.02

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
From your title I think you know the answer.

It is called redundancy.

I have been on a boat that had to be towed from south of PLO to Solomon's twice. We had radio problems, cell phone coverage was poor and no other boats were around. Finally the satellite phone saved the day or we may still be out there. The next communication method was flare gun.

A VHF is basic equipment for a boat.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
250 Posts
Like you already heard, I think of a vhf as gotta have. At least a handheld. Cell phone ain't worth a crud when it gets wet. Call me silly, but I don't wanna screw with safety. Or at least having to explain to the wife why I couldn't get home;)

jmho.
bobby

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Get the VHF. I agree with Bill on the feature of redundancy. (I have dropped my cell phone in the water :( ) If you have an emergency chances are someone close will hear you and get to you a lot quicker than if you have to cell phone call the Coast Guard and they dispatch a boat. On the flip side - another boat close to you may be in distress and by monitoring the VHF, you may be the first responder.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just what I needed!

Exactly the response I hoped for from TF! Hadn't exactly thought it out, hence the title, knew I would get a spankin'. Now does anyone have recomendations for makes/models in a handheld, or a good place to buy one. Lookin' at the Cabela's catalog now with a glass of bourbon as a helper.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
VHF yes!

I leave the South River, mostly with myself...

Sometimes with a Bud or 2 (usually alone). I cannot consistantly get a signal on the cell phone once I'm past TPL..and especially when I'm headed towards the Eastern Shore or near BPL..

VHF will save your life or another's....Get one.

From the question, you scare me..have you taken a boater safety course?...in my book, MANDITORY!....

Fishing can be learned later...Safety is no.1.

JMO,
jim

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother,
You won't always get cell phone service everywhere out there on the Bay. Cell phones are good for keeping in touch with where your buddies are fishing and finding out if their on fish without everyone hearing on the radio. But all it takes is one emergency situation and that VHF radio will be worth every cent and then some.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It has all pretty much been said about safety so I’ll kick in something about features. I have a vhf that lets me scan as many channels as you want so I scan 12/16 and two or three others and it cuts down on the chatter. But remember the radio is only as good as the antenna, a good antenna is important.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
When you install your antenna- there is a new "cramp-on" connector from the wire to the back of the vhf unit that replaces the old "solder" job. I used it to rig a new radio on a new boat this fall, so I can't really compare, but with $100 radio and $100 antenna and $4 cramp-on connector, I got a radio check from the mouth of the Corsica from a guy over at Baltimore Light that sounded like he was 100 feet away. Four weather channels, easy.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
vhf radio is THE most important electronics you can have on board. and not a handheld, either. icom the best out there, for about 150 bucks.
woops...didn't see stinkbaits reply. he said it all perfectly, and, i hope yopu believe what he says, because he's hit it right on the head!!

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Mark- there are 3 things ya don't want to skimp on when outfitting a boat. Sonar to know whats under you, GPS so ya know where your at, and a VHF so ya can communicate with the world. I would think twice about venturing out on a boat that was missing any one of these electronics-------------

1 - 20 of 33 Posts