Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to other boats running by you at high speed while you are either drifting or anchored.

It seems to me that more and more folks are running by you, very close and very fast causing terrible wakes. It happend at the cell last year a lot and the other day while I was off Gwynn's Island several LARGE " Sport " fishing boats blew by me like I was invisable. I could have easily hit them with a cast. I was well out of any marked channel and there plenty of room to avoid such close encounters. Anyone notice this trend?? I've got a pretty stable platform but it still rocks me badly.

·
Registered
659 Posts
'Chief,
This type of behavior has been getting worst every year. Something is going to have to be done in the future. This has been addressed before on this board. Some had question if making everyone get a license before operating a boat, but I don't think it would fix the problem. You are always going to have these type of people around. You have those that really don't give a damn.
Bubba[angel][angel]

·
Registered
336 Posts
I believe some people use a boat or group of them as a navigational buoy; drawn to an object(s) in the water as they run from point A to point B; as far as the boats at 42/cell, that is plain and simple "my give a damn's busted"........ i.e. - THEY DON'T CARE - I fast idle not on plane through big groups until I clear them, personally, and I wish all others would be considerate the same....10% of the people cause 90% of the problems in this world......aye...aye

WA

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yep, it is a big problem coming out of the Yeocomico because the channel bends around the green marker. So when you are heading out (staying in the right side of the channel), many times boats coming in are navigating right at the green marker (staying on the left side of the channel coming in). Hence you end up with a collision course and as you approach the green marker heading out you don't know if the other boat is going to follow the rules of the road, or simply squeeze by the marker heading right at you. So you only have two choices, one to go outside the channel and run the mine field of crab pots to starbord (and stern of the oncoming vessel), or 2 cut wide to the Port and run out on the left of the channels edge which is not correct and puts you in a mess with all incoming boats. Certain Captains seem to need some kind of object to navigate directly towards.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Good point to bring up for this time of year. Maybe this post will remind us all to be more considerate on the water when near other boats.

I think everyone that operates a boat should be required to pass a water test and pass a written test and get their license renewed regularly.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

1 - 5 of 5 Posts