Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever put in kayak at the fishing center and fish? Is it safe from strong currents? Not looking to leave eye sight of fishing center. Just wondering if anything is worth fishing from sot yak either left of the propeller and out of behind the center to the right. Will be down in early July and have little luck wading the usual sloughs in area. wondering if using kayak to venture out a ;ittle ways and fishing towards shore or finding some sloughs near fishing center. I have a case of cabin fever in case you couldn't guess.

Thanks for any help

Md angler

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have fished OI several times in boats from 13 foot all the way to 65 foot I got in trouble one time in the 13 becaus e of the fleet coming in on us. The current around the bridge can be tricky but I believe you could run paralell and get out of it. There are some nice flats all around the fishing center. But with a kayak there are countless put ins. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Put in at the propeller and go left , I have caught some small pup's there .You can also go out to the bridge ,but I havent been all the way out to the channel. Maybe this year if I've got it in me.

Darren

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the quick replys. I have only waded left of the propeller and thrown into the slough right at the lane to the docking area. Did high or low tide have much bearing on being able to paddle out there?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Tide makes no difference in the rips until you actually get near the channel, near the bridge (and it is all deep enough, after a little mud at the put-in). Even then it is just some corrective paddling. Be wary of boats not seeing you. Some dont see yaks so well after a long ride home.

If you have 4-wheel drive(not all wheel drive) you should just drive out on the beach to the backside of the inlet. The beach is 15 feet from the bridge, and all the tidal marshes, creeks, flats you are looking for. It is better scenery than the parking lot at the propeller slough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts