Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is looking at a kayak today that a friend is selling, who used it 6 times. It's a Pungo 12 or 14. She said 13 but knows she got that wrong because they only make 12 or 14. The reviews are positive - a very good fishing kayak (fairly calm waters), easy to use with no experience and holds a lot of gear. My wife is extremely athletic - Ultras, triathalons, marathons... but I now have tendonitis and can no longer run, so this should help with the exercise. We plan to use it on MD Eastern Shore rivers and creeks. Also for use by family members, children, mostly newbies. Any, all opinions from kayakers appreciated. Thanks.

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom - Didn't realize there was one! Thks. Jim

- just posted on that board but not sure many people go there

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I have never closely looked at Pungo kayaks, although I have heard of them before. I believe it is a reputable brand. I fished for the past 5-6 seasons out of an Ocean Kayak Drifter, a stable but slow boat. In November, I bought a second boat, a Native Manta 14. I used the same model when I fished with guide Cory Routh last summer. It paddled more easily and was more comfortable for sitting than the Drifter. Both of these are sit-on-top styles.

Things to look at in a kayak are style (sit inside vs. sit on top), (shape and width of hull (speed vs. stability), weight (will you lift it on top of a car). I recommend that you and your wife visit a store that specializes in canoes and kayaks. I don't know where you live, but there is a very good store in Eastport (section of Annapolis) called Annapolis Canoe and Kayak Sea Kayak, Canoe Sales and Rentals, Annapolis Canoe and Kayak. That is where I bought my second kayak.

These stores sell multiple brands, styles, and sizes of kayaks. They can point out the pros and cons of different features. If you wait until warmer weather, they often let you test-drive the kayaks before buying. They also have a full range of accessories and can help you choose paddle size, etc. to match the size of the primary user.

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kayak

Thanks John. We decided not to buy the used Punga because the owner wanted $100 less than a new one on EBay with free shipping. Hers is 6 yrs. old. The Punga reviews are really good... easy for the novice, good for fishing, well balanced, etc. We are close to Annapolis, so we'll go down to the place you suggested. Thanks. Jim

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a pungo 12'. I like it. I only use it for fishing rivers and creeks, mostly in the winter and spring(i use my real boat the rest of the year). I love it. The sit inside is perfect for me. I can fit a 12 pack cooler, 2 6' rods, a small tackle bag, and my life vest in it. I still have room for a few things. It is god in a chop. I have had it out in a pretty good chop in the gunpowder. I have also been out off of north point in it. I once took it to Tuckahoe(spelling?). I didn't do all that great up river where there was a current and the river was tight. I think the boat is just to long. I paid 300 for mine used. It didnt have scratch on it. It was a good investment for me because it dosent cost anything sitting in the backyard.Hope this helps. If you have any other questions just shoot me a mail.

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a pungo 12'. I like it. I only use it for fishing rivers and creeks, mostly in the winter and spring(i use my real boat the rest of the year). I love it. The sit inside is perfect for me. I can fit a 12 pack cooler, 2 6' rods, a small tackle bag, and my life vest in it. I still have room for a few things. It is god in a chop. I have had it out in a pretty good chop in the gunpowder. I have also been out off of north point in it. I once took it to Tuckahoe(spelling?). I didn't do all that great up river where there was a current and the river was tight. I think the boat is just to long. I paid 300 for mine used. It didnt have scratch on it. It was a good investment for me because it dosent cost anything sitting in the backyard.Hope this helps. If you have any other questions just shoot me a mail.
Jason - I'm impressed with the Punga based on what I've read. It may be the one we buy but I need to study more. Thanks. Jim

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My wife found a good price on a Kayak and gear over at LL Bean outlet on the eastern shore at rts 50 and 301
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob - That's a good lead. I drive by it daily and never went in there. Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts