Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings GA Anglers,

I was hoping for some help. I will be taking a vacation to Tybee the 3rd week of august. Coming down from Washington DC. I am planning one day with a fly fishing guide out of Hilton Head. Would love to have a guide for the whole week, but my budget will not allow such a luxury.

I am planning to rent a kayak from "North Island Kayak" to fish from on the other days.

Could anyone provide some advice as to areas to fish?
Is there good inshore fishing within paddle distance of the rental location (base of Lazaretto Creek Bridge) or do I need to transport the boat to launch elsewhere?
Are there any local kayak fishers who would be interested in going out for a day?
Any tips, tricks, general things i should know about fishing tybee, thoughts, comments, concerns, insults?

Thanks and tight lines!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to here the budget won't allow for a guide for more than a day, ( I am a guide here in Savannah;-) Anyway your best place for kayaking is the back river. The kayak rental place will hawl the yak there for you.
Are you fishing with fly rod or light tackle?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the Tip! I hope to do both fly and light tackle. Have not really fished from a kayak before so not sure how it will work with bringing extra rods.

Did check out your website, but I only found it after already committing with the other guide in Hilton Head. He only has availability to take me out during the day fishing low tide. I was kind of hoping to fish high tide and do the tailing redfish thing. Looking at the tables, the tide should be quite high in the evening the week I am there. Do you have any availability on the 18th, 19th, or 20th?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the Tip! I hope to do both fly and light tackle. Have not really fished from a kayak before so not sure how it will work with bringing extra rods.

Did check out your website, but I only found it after already committing with the other guide in Hilton Head. He only has availability to take me out during the day fishing low tide. I was kind of hoping to fish high tide and do the tailing redfish thing. Looking at the tables, the tide should be quite high in the evening the week I am there. Do you have any availability on the 18th, 19th, or 20th?
I do have availablity on tues the 18th this trip would be @ 5:00pm in afternoon, or the 20th @ 7:00am. The whole week will be good high tide fishing all the way till tues. the 25th

If you book one of the days I could show you better what to look for, then you could take the kayak to some spots to wade those flats. Much easier to fly fish this way. I will also give you some flys that are killer here.

Just some thoughts! :thumbup:

·
Registered
105 Posts
fished there last year great fishing, jig heads live gilles minows slow and low lots of reds around oyster bars alot of sharks bonnett head love crabs great fight!!! have fun:thumbup:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Greetings GA Anglers,

I was hoping for some help. I will be taking a vacation to Tybee the 3rd week of august. Coming down from Washington DC. I am planning one day with a fly fishing guide out of Hilton Head. Would love to have a guide for the whole week, but my budget will not allow such a luxury.

I am planning to rent a kayak from "North Island Kayak" to fish from on the other days.

Could anyone provide some advice as to areas to fish?
Is there good inshore fishing within paddle distance of the rental location (base of Lazaretto Creek Bridge) or do I need to transport the boat to launch elsewhere?
Are there any local kayak fishers who would be interested in going out for a day?
Any tips, tricks, general things i should know about fishing tybee, thoughts, comments, concerns, insults?

Thanks and tight lines!
I just got back for tybee this monday and did good... i fished back river and put in at the old boat ramp...... caught a lot of spec's all on DOA shrimp under a popping cork. all the fish where caught during the incoming or high tide. if you get a chance paddle around at low tide to find all the structure, theres lot of good oyster beds and flats areas....... hit me up and ill tell you where i fished (to much to type).....757-645-7624

1 - 8 of 8 Posts