Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By the time you read this Kevin will be through Georgia and well into South Carolina. Kev checked in on Friday, stoked to have finished the Peach State in just five days. It took him eight on his last trip. He's paddling farther, through rougher conditions, trying to best his previous times and discover new territory. In Alligator Ally, he had a close encounter when his boat came within 6 feet of a 10-foot monster gator. "I was wrongly close," Kevin said as he and the beast were eye to eye with only a carbon fiber paddle between them. On the fishing front, Kev hooked another tarpon but lost the fish when his rusty hooks broke. All of his equipment is still holding out, but his handgun has locked up. "I've still got my machete," Kevin said, "I'll just have to charge people!" On another extreme, he's discovered barnacles growing on his kayak. With just 600 miles to go, Kevin's on track to make it home by mid September. One stroke at a time.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Kevin has an Ocean Kayak Manta. It's a crazy looking kayak with a fin in the front. They don't make them anymore. I heard that he used one for his first journey nad wanted a new one for this journey. The only one he could find was in Hawaii and he paid to have it shipped here. Ric knows the story better then I. I just thought since I was here I tell what I know. I'm sure someone else will fill in the gaps.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that Manta is weird looking, but it's perfect for touring. Shame they don't make it anymore. It's similar to the Prowler but a little longer and a lot thinner. As Calvin mentioned, it has a wing on the bow that flares waves away. The boat also has a lip around the cockpit for a spray skirt. Even with over 300 pounds of **** jammed in it, the boat moves right a long. Kevin's using a custom built, carbon fiber, one-piece Bending Branches paddle that he had built to match his paddling style. He's armed with two rods, a medium action spinner with a Team Diawa 2500 reel and a medium heavy conventional outfit that he picked up on his way. The tarpon were hooked on a spoon that he keeps loaded and ready to fire at the first sign of rolling fish. Check out the TKAA site for pictures of his boat and gear. I wanted to add that Kevin sent me the map of Florida that he used to navigate around the State where he noted wind directions, current, and campsites. I'll bring it to the next TKAA meeting.

Ric

·
Registered
102 Posts
At the TKAA meeting before he left, I asked Kevin about his upcoming trip. One of the things he mentioned was that he encountered most of the alligators in Georgia last trip. I guess I thought they were mostly in Florida. He said there were areas in GA where you could see one every 100 yards! I'm glad he's getting into SC. Barnacles growing on his yak...that's hardcore. Go, Lance...I mean Kevin!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Alligator, or Crocodile? Alligators are timid and crocks are very aggressive. There are a lot of sea crocks around the area from Tybee Island to St. Simons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts