Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently saving/shopping for a kayak or canoe. I enjoy coming to this site to read the stories and gather information. Deciding on a canoe or kayak can be a personal and exhaustive effort.

I do own a pop-up camper and participate in a forum very much like this one but for pop-up campers instead of fishing. One thing that I enjoy about the other site is that the majority of the participants list their camper type and model in their post signature. This is not done in order to brag, solicit, brand, or other. But is instead used to enable users that share similar equipment or are interested in purchasing similar equipment to share posts with others that are already owners.

I would love to know what type of kayaks and canoes you guys and gals are using while I read your exciting posts of fishing adventures. This would also allow new comers to the sport like myself to direct specific questions to current owners.

An example of what I am speaking of can be found in the posting of CARP, a veteran member of this site, who does list the type of kayak he uses in his post.

I look forward to reading many more of your posts and hope that I will soon be able to paricipate myself.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I own Wilderness Systems Tarpons, a 140 (olive), 160i (ice blue). Two more one th way.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I own two Wilderness System kayaks; one is a green (olive) Tarpon 120 and the other is a mango colored Tarpon 140 (it's shown as the avatar in my signature).

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't own a pop-up camper but I have several tents.
1 Eureka Sunrise 8

2 Eureka Timberline

3 The Northface Talus 23

4 The Northface Canyonland

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NOW THAT'S MORE LIKE IT, Thanx!
As long as I don't have any questions about anything other than a Tarpon I am all set.
As a beginner, I am looking for something very stable and controllable. The Tarpon 14 is one I am considering.
The problem with towing a camper is that I can't tow a boat as well. And of course the best fishing spots are just a little farther than where ever you happen to be.
Still might go with a canoe though. I have two small children and would love to get them excited about the water also.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I HAVEN'T HHAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT. I GOT MY FF HOOKED UP AND MY R-A-M MOUNT HOLDERS TODAY . I THINK IT'S MORE STABLE THAN MY PERCEPTION SWIFTY'S, THEY ARE 9'6". ONE THING,I HAVENT BEEN AROUND ANY WAVES YET EITHER!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The waves brings up an interesting point. I went kayaking in the ocean with a friend and his kayaks. That was fun. I would love to do that with the intent to fish. (It was fun until I tried to land the darn thing and the breakers flipped me right over on my face.)

Fitting my truck with a 12 might be easier as long as I do not lose a lot of control and stability for the extra two feet. I fish the Occoquan and Potomac River primarily and boat traffic can cause quite a wake to handle. (Not isolated to the no wake zone by the way.)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yellow Tarpon 120 here. "upgraded" from my Punco classic when i took up fly fishing since it's easier for me to mangage stripped line on the yak instead of inside of it.

Love my Tarpon and the size is great for me sicne I rack it on the roof of the van when I travel to Miami[excited].

·
Registered
255 Posts
The only difference between the 120 and 140 are the length. the other dimensions arethe same. Cockpit is the same, storage is the same, just an extra foot on each end.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am a SIK (sit-inside) kind of guy. My yak does double duty. Family recreation and solo fishing.
Blue, WS Pamlico 135T, Cuda 128 FF, Harkin jam cleat for anchor with open chocks fore and aft, Berkely rod holder thru hull mounted.
Yakgeek

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have the Tarpon 16. I have a pickup with an 8' bed and side boxes. The yak rides in the bed with no problems but I wouldn't want to put it in one of those weenie size pickup beds!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts