Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, wanna open up a real discussion about building custome rods for Yak fishing...so far what are your gripes about off the shelf rods? Casting from a sitting position, rod length and weight. Butt length? Materials? Rod length vs Specicies vs application ect...
I am using 7' Graphite Spins I made but the traditional spinning butt length seems a little long for sitting down...I make them about even with the bottom of my elbow for leverage but I find that thats a little long for me...might be scaling butt length backa little...also I have a couple of boat rods I have been using to target big stripers, Kings and Dolphin with...7' Live Bait Blanks conventional with TLD 15s on them spooled with what seems like a 1/2 a million yards of momoi 20...I've got the Stuart Tuff Butts on them and havent used them yet Yaking...just seems like they might be a little long butted...also has anyone seem a small ball I can slip over the end of the butt while fighting a fish? The bottom of the tuff butts is indexed for a rod holder...I am putting together some ideas for building kayak specific rods...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get the U.S. the HELL out of the U.N., then get the U.N. the HELL out of the U.S.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I love most smaller rods, 6'6" to 7'6", right off the shelf for the yak. I have two rods that are 8'6" and I just cut about 2 1/2" inches off with a dremel cutting wheel and put a rubber or foam fighting butt on them because the butts were too long. I use lighter rods in general from the yak because you can get away with it because the fish can pull you around. I only use baitcasters though and it may be different for spin fisherman because spinning rod butts are usually longer.
Chad

·
Registered
707 Posts
great idea! i like the 6'6" rods with the short butt section. i wonder if you could slide a rubber cup over the end of the butt that is used for furniture, like a table or chair? they may be similar diameter or just zip tie the top of it.

mike

edit: like this but maybe flares a little more at the bottom: http://www.fashionablecanes.com/tips.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts