Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see quite a few kayaks stored outside on racks over the winter in our community. Ours are currently stored on my side of the 2 car garage but I would like to put my truck back in there before winter. The wife's kayak is 10 foot long and mine is 12. I can probably build a bracket and stand hers on end against the end of the garage but not sure how to store mine. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I saw a sling at EMS last week where it could be suspended from the ceiling and raised up by a series of pulleys. However, I not thrilled about paying $150 for a short term storage system.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If your garages ceiling is not closed in you could make a yak rack off of your ceiling joices with 2x4's and cover them with carpet to keep from scratching the yak.It would probaly take 2 people to raise it up into the rack though.
I have rack for my fishing rods like that.
If the ceiling is closed in you could make a horizontal rack beside the vertical rack for your wife's 10ft yak on the back wall or 2 horizontal racks on top of each other like bunk beds.This would be better than the ceiling rack as far as placing the yak into it.
Hope this helps!
By the way I'm an older "wanna be yakker' with a bad back who enjoys reading this board every time I visit Tidalfish.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Juke is right. Fishing kayaks are amphibians. If they are not in the water once or twice a week, they will dehydrate and become useless.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've got a pretty good storage system I'll send ya some pics tomorrow of it. Its on the side of my fence, just made it braced to the fence with some 2 x 4's and pipe insulation over the 2 x 4's to help protect the yak. Three of them,,, two of them while common I think might cause some warpage down the road in the dog days of summer. Then I have a cut tarp that I bungee cord over it to protect it from too dirty. Pics to come soon

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I have two systems. In my shed (which is 8X24) I have a rack on the wall for a kayak.

In my garage over head I have a carpeted rack for one end and a pulley mounted to an eye in the ceiling with a cleat on the wall. I put the bow up then hoist the other end up using the pulley. Either way it is my opinion that small boats should be stored in doors if at all possible.

On another issue regarding plastic boats. Ozone is a killer for plastics right behind UV (AKA su) lignt. I know that a PVC bucket lasts about 2 years on by boat before it becomes brittle. Has anybody considered wrapping your boat in plastic in the off season.

Tom

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. While I was waiting for new tires to be mounted on my truck yesterday I saw a Jeep ad where they had a kayak mounted on the side wall of the garage with those yellow straps that you can use to secure or tie down stuff in the back. Anyone try this technique?

By the way, I think we are fair weather kayakers. If it gets to cold out there I suspect I may have trouble convincing the wife to take them out and I am reluctant to kayak by myself when the weather gets nippy. (However, she did suggest that maybe we should consider buying some wet suits.)

·
Registered
798 Posts
I think the official word from differant manufacturers is either straight up and down, resting on the tip, or, as the posted photos show, supended on the side so there are no pressure points from the top or bottom. I just toss mine in the back yard, very bad habit of mine.

I need to follow the same advice on this one

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
In cold weather there should be no deformation no matter what way you stor it, I store mine on a rack top down, of course I fish all winter, so it is not really winter storage.

·
Registered
457 Posts
No winter storage for me!!!!!!!!Lots of freshwater action around. I caught a 6" flounder at Rudee on Sun. w/ fishbites, the smallest I've ever seen.

Darren

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hanging a kayak or storing it any which way is considered "KAYAK ABUSE". Kayaks are like Labs and require constant play time and regular adventures.

·
Registered
707 Posts
i went to home depot and bought 4 eye bolts and one boat cleat. i intalled 2 eye bolts in the ceiling of my garage where i wanted my kayak and canoe to hang. then an eye bolt int he corner where the ceiling meets the wall and then one more between the ceiling and the cleat in installed. take the tie downs you use for you kayak and wrap them around your kayak and connect them to rope.

makethe rope long enough that you can stand next to the boat and pull th rope. the idea is to lift one end of the kayak and pull the rope tight. tie it off and do the other side. takes about 5 minutes after you have done it a few times.

i also installed a safety mechanism with eye bolts that run under the boats in case the cleats or knots slip, the tiedowns will hold it.
this might be a confusing description but it works great.

cost: approx $5

mike

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
storing your kayak iin winter is blatant "KAYAK ABUSE" you might as well tie up one of your dogs in the back yard in the cold..with no food...or water...and no place to exercise...its "just plain wrong" I think I will report you to the PETK People for the Ethical Treatment of Kayaks...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts