Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all--

New to the board. I've been thinking about taking the plunge and getting a yak for my fly-fishing. Trouble is, I live in the basement of a D.C. rowhouse and have absolutely nowhere to put the thing. Anyone know of a place to keep a kayak on the cheap near the city?

Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
you could rent a self storage room, i have one in virginia beach it is 85 a month for 10X10....i dont keep my yak there (it is full of my "bachelor"furniture since i got married) I think something like that would work, stored diagnally. Kinda spendy just for yak though.
Maybe get a fishing buddy with a garage?[wink] I keep mine in my back yard hanging on the fence with straps.

Chris

·
Registered
707 Posts
A lot of the local reservoirs have mooring places. I think they are like $25/year. Look at Black Hills Regional Park in Montgomery County. I think Lake Needwood does it too, but not sure. The only thing is you would be subject to their open hours. I would also call Springriver Corporation or Potomac Paddlers and check with them.

A 12' boat would fit in a basement or apartment behind a sofa too.

mike

·
Registered
575 Posts
Have you tried the public small sailboat marina there on the Potomac? It's near the Reagan airport I think. If I sound unsure it's because I am not from there. My sister and brother in law live up there and they said it was a cool place; they have a bar with cheap beer too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you buy the Malibu X-factor, I'll be your buddy and you can keep it at my house. Virginia Beach ain't that far.
Seriously, you'll meet someone zakin that prob won't mind if you keep it at their house...it may be under cover on a deck or so.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm probably going to get seriously pounded for suggesting it, and I don't really have the experiece, but there are a number of (expensive!) collapsible/foldable kayaks (e.g. Feathercraft) out there that I understand perform fairly well on the water.

Probably hard/impossible to fit hardware to. But it depends on what want to do. Money-wise it wouldn't be any worse (in the long run) than renting storage space.

Depends on what you want to do. If you are going "hard core" yak fishing with all the bells and whistles, it's definitly not practicle.

Hey! It's a free suggestions.[grin]

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts