Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years, kayak anglers have asked the question, "If I fall out of a kayak wearing waders, will I die?" Well, the Fishcrazy kayak team decided to answer that question and film the results. In the name of kayak safety, I suited up first in a drysuit, then in waders and a dry top, and finally in waders only and jumped into the 36-degree water of Chesapeake Bay. Check out the video on youtube at
. And yes, it was as cold as it looks...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Great demonstration.
In the past I read how the famous fly fisherman Lee Wulff wrote about his failure to sink when falling in the water with waders under test conditions. The noted surf fisherman Frank Daignault also did actual tests with the same results. Because of the trapped air in the waders, they floated like a cork.

Your tests go beyond their's (done in cold water, comparison of different systems).
Very well done.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Good video,ya should have swam at least 100ft with all that stuff on to catch up with your kayak at someplace like the first island,hrbt,looks like a whole bunch of fun that Kayakin.:)). Very glad I have a boat.
Center Console Clarence.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Full circle

Nice work, guys. It shows how attitudes have changed over the years, too.

In early December 1995, I showed up to meet Ric and Roger's father Eric for a striper charter. I wore my standard surf-fishing outfit (neoprene stockingfoot chest waders, cinch belt at the top, polypro tops and bottoms, wool sweater, neoprene fingerless gloves, fleece watchcap, and shell jacket) due to the 27 degree temps, the rough water, and since we'd be on Eric's 24' boat. Eric initially told me he didn't want me to wear the waders as they'd pull me down if I ended up in the water. I pointed out the waders were neoprene and were buoyant, particularly with a tightly-cinched belt. He relented, but seemed dubious about it, at best.

Eric put us on the rockfish, too. We limited out quickly casting under working birds in the open Bay just oceanside of the 3rd. It was a great half-day in Gimli with Captain Eric at the helm. I managed to stay in the boat, and stayed very dry and warm despite the considerable spray.

Best to the family, Ric and Roger. Keep up the great work!

Foy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.