Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last trip to the CBBT Terry and I were fishing on the ocean side of the first island when we heard someone blowing a whistle and yelling help, help, help! There were several boats around but no one seemed to respond. We saw a very heavy woman in a Kayak who had just come from the bay side to the ocean side and took a big wave. It tore off her skirt. No, not one she was wearing, the one that keeps water from coming in the opening of the Kayak.

Terry is an avid Kayaker. We motored slowly over to the woman. She was still in her craft but it was full of water. She said if she could hold on to our boat she could empty out the water. As she attempted this move the kayak turned over and she was in the water. Even though she had huge natural "water wings" she seemed not to be able to swim and began to sink. Terry grabbed an arm as she went under. We got her around to the ladder in the stern of my boat and pulled her in. We then emptied the kayak and put it in the bow of my boat.

A near by boater picked up her skirt and we decide to run to the calm bay side to get it. The gal had no PFD, no VHF, no cell phone and no buddy boat. It was windy and about 50 degrees. We offered to call the CG, let her make a call or take her to the western shore; but she refused and said she would be fine. I do not know what she was wearing but we could see bare skin at her waist. I would think she would be very cold. We watched as she paddled off along the bridge and out of sight.

After we ate some lunch, I told Terry we should run towards shore and see if she was OK. She either made it to shore or not. We did not see her again.

I know little about kayaking but think she did some very foolish things. This was a day the camera never made it from the truck to the boat or this story would have been illustrated. She did not seem like an accomplished Kayaker, but throughout the incident she seemed unusually calm. Hope she is OK.

·
Registered
846 Posts
What's the rule on Kayaks at night. I fished the HRBT for schoolies twice in the early season. Both nights there were 5 or 6 Kayak guys out there. I never saw any sort of transom light on their boats. Must have a death wish as they head back to the ramp at Willoby with no lights. Knuckleheads!

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont even want to get started on yakers!
We all have our passions Rich. I just hate to see people in trouble and think they should take some precautions to protect themselves when things go wrong. The bay side of the first was fairly calm but the ocean side was nasty. I think she had a big surprise as she paddled through the pilings and hit the much bigger waves.

I do not understand how calm she was. I am normally calm but think I would have been a little excited in her circumstance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What's the rule on Kayaks at night. I fished the HRBT for schoolies twice in the early season. Both nights there were 5 or 6 Kayak guys out there. I never saw any sort of transom light on their boats. Must have a death wish as they head back to the ramp at Willoby with no lights. Knuckleheads!
the only requirement is to have a light available. We(TKAA) preach at least a 360 light on at all times. also a headlamp, reflective tape on the body, yak, and paddle helps alot. some do not agree with these precautions(or are not aware of the dangers).

ken c

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I enjoy doing some extreem stunts too butsome of these people dont have all there screws. We were comming back from Carolla Light on an extremely foggy day 2 years ago. The entire ride back was a top pucker factor with no radar. We got to Rudy Inlet and almost ran into the rocks it was so hard to see. After avoiding the rocks we look up only to see a kayak paddeling across the inlet right in front of us!!!! Lucky I was going as slow as possible and had all EYES on Deck. I wouldn't even think of taking a kayak out with no lights or markers to aid others to see him in such foggy conditions. I love fishing but I think I love life just a bit more. martin

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Martineta...

USCG navigation rule 25

section D, part 2, "a vessel under oars MAY exhibit same lights as sailing vessels, but if she doesnt, she shall have at the ready an electric torch(flash light) or lighted lantern showing a white lightwhich shall be exhibited in sufficent time to prevent collision".

basically says they can be lighted as little as a flash light when someone is near them. But it does exclude them from having the normal config of NAV lights and all around light.

now with that said, only someone with very little reguard for their life would venture out with just a flash ligh. They make all sorts of 12v LED lights that are very bright and run a long tne on a couple of D cell batteries.

Danny

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Her not having a PFD on tells me everything I need to know about that women.

It is amazing to me what I see on out on the water these days particulaly during Striper season. People come down with "Striper Fever" and it seems that all good sense goes right out the window.

Last week I saw at least 5 small skiffs crammed full of people at least a mile or more off the oceanfront. We were in at least 3ft seas.

I have seen people in canoes and almost any other type of craft that will float out there. None with PFD's on.

A couple of years ago we were fishing the CBBT and there were a couple of guys fishing off their surfboards. They had paddled out from the beach and were near the small boat channel.:eek2:

I would not be surprised to see someone out there sitting in a 200 quart cooler and paddling around.:))

As you know it is bad enough going over the side during the summer but when the water is 45 degrees they would have almost no chance of survival.

Nice going Wild Bill I don't have much doubt but that you saved her life.

Dennis:))

·
Registered
22 Posts
PFD'S

In 20 years as a Marine Police Officer, I was involved in the recovery of 24 drowning victims. Not one of the victims was wearing a PFD! Wild Bill - no doubt in my mind that you saved her life...
Bob Bois

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
It is not kayakers. . . It is stupid people. . . . The same could be said of the folks that tried to go out last week when it was blowing 40 out of the NW. . .

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, Cory. We had other excitement that trip that was very positive and I forgot about this story until I saw some kayak posts.

Do you know her?

This is not an anti kayak post. As I stated my bud Terry is an avid kayaker who has done Block Island and Cape Cod in a kayak.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I also fished someone out of the water that had turned his yak over, inside lynnhaven, he was lucky all he lost was alot of tackel and the water was about60 degrees, he had on wadders and they dont swim well. He to seemed calm, but suprised and embarassed, and humbled. Nuthin wrong with yakin inside lynnhaven but to take one out to the shoals or the high level or the cbbt in general is askin for trouble, why not just get a small boat and be safer and much more comfortable.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
WIldBill --- Good thing for her that you were on top of things and came to her aid. I'm not sure I would have let her out of the boat without first notifiying the CG. I like others have had close calls with small boats at night without lights. I almost killed a guy in a 15' Jon boat coming out of Chesapeake Beach inlet at dusk. The guy was in a camo boat with no lights and was cutting across my bow when I saw him about 100' in front of me and I was running about 26-28 knts. He got real Pi$$ed thinking that I "waked" him on purpose. I made it a point to turn around and have a "talk" with him about his stupidity. That scared that stuff out of me!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts