Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats' the longest you've kept shad fresh (unfrozen) on ice and still used it for bait?

·
Registered
31 Posts
24 hours with great success on Santee Cooper. Most of the folks down there don't keep their shad in a livewell before using them, they just put them on ice. The KEY is to make sure they are just ON ice, not IN ice. If they get wet they will go off on you 10 times faster. What we do is put them into a ziploc so they are laying flat in one layer and then lay the bag onto either a bag of ice or on top of a layer of ice in a cooler. They have holders specifically made to lay your bait on inside a cooler full of ice, mostly in saltwater catalogs. For an average James trip, though, you should have no problems keeping your shad fresh simply ziploc-ing them and tossing them in the cooler. In January, the cooler is optional!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey stranger. what do you mean "they will go off on you"?? You mean they'll start flopping around like crazy if the cooler has ice water in it? I'm just thinking of keeping some fresh on ice for a multi-day trip, possibly between different bodies of water.

·
Registered
31 Posts
"Go off" as in spoil. I think you will be fine for 24 hours as long as they aren't submerged in water.

Good Luck!!!![grin]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts