Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone on this board had any suggestions on keeping water open in an impoundment besides a bubbler. Right now I have on sump pump going, but it just doesn't seem to keep a very big hole open, although I watched two wooducks try to get in there last night. I was just thinking about getting a couple more sump pumps unless someone has a better idea. Thanks, Poon

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am going to try the bubbler hooked up to a generator this year to see if I can keep our spot open. Ice kills us every year and I want to get into those late season birds!

Tip I got was to use thre fence posts and point the bubbler staright out, not up so it keeps a much larger area open. I dont knwo if you can rig your sump pump to do the same but it might help move more water around and open the hole a bit.

·
Banned
859 Posts
Poon,
If you have access to a small boat and a small outboard, try breaking up the ice with it first and then beach the boat and allow the motor to run ingear tilted up, moving the water.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the bubbler wil work, but they aren't cheap!! The way they told you to do it is the correct way, and you will kill ducks if you keep it open. As for the boat option, my ponds are only about an acre in size with standing corn, so that won't work either but good idea for big water. Just trying to find a cheap solution for this year. Poon

·
Registered
576 Posts
Fence post, trolling motor and deep cycle battery will keep a good size hole open running all night at a low setting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
take the a piece of pcv and drill a bunch of small holes to create a spray bar effect. attach to your sump and it should open a larger hole.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can you run a bubbler off a battery and charge the battery with a solar charger or are they all 110/220 bubblers?

Thanks,

Fitz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts