Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Dave - RJ made the ones he brought to Snoodfest and showed others how to do it. He said that you can probably get a used keg (cheap) through one of the distributors or liquor stores, esp. if you know someone. He had a stainless grate with legs welded on the bottom for the water and made nice carrying handles. He can explain better than me but it's a nice unit and looks like it would work well. Jim

G

·
Seriously, if you drink beer (like some people don't!!!!) get your self a 1/2 keg at your local liquor store, enjoy emptying it and just don't return the empty. Most liquor stores only require a 15 buck deposit on the keg. Grab a 4" inch grinder and whack off the top. Nothing to it.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Could some one please post some pics of a keg steamer. What I'd like to see is how the lid fits back on. That's one of reasons why I'm pissed that I let a snow little keep me home for Snood Fest. I really wanted to see a keg steamer. Thanks in advance if someone posts some pics.

Never mind I see what I need to know in one of the posted pictures. Thanks JimRockfish.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
straight walled keg
mark keg about 1 1/2" below top weld
cut off about 1 1/2" below weld, I use a sawsall but you can use a grinder or abrasive blade in a circular saw.

peen the edge of the top to fit over the remaining bottom half of the keg.

remove the rod that comes out with the top and plug hole, I use 5/16 SS fender washers & a 5/16 nut & bolt (Local boat store)

handles can be fabricated fron SS tubing or you can purchase some SS trailer U bolts & washers (local boat store)

racks can be fashioned from SS but material is hard to come by
the one on the left is SS with some 6" SS bolts for legs

the one on the right is an aluminum pizza pan (commercial type available from restaurant supply stores) I get mine from Dipaula on Belair rd $4.95

Attachments

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
curved wall keg-3 kegs make 2 steamers
each one will hold 1 bu plus corn

I use a sawsall to cut my kegs but you can also use a grinder or an abrasive blade in a circular saw-
hint when cutting with a sawsall the blade must be kept cool-oil or water poured on blade will do,otherwise the blade will heat up & turn red hot and be useless
I start with a new metal cutting blade and it takes me about 15 mins per cut

cut 1 keg in 3 sections as shown in pic- middle section will be discarded- the remaining 2 sections will become the lids 1 section will need the rod removed and hole covered, I use 5/16 fender washers from local boat store-I like this style better-lids fit tighter

cut the tops off other 2 kegs & discard

install handles-either fabricated from SS tubing or purchase SS trailer U bolts & washers (local boat store $5.95 & a few Xtra cents for extra nuts & washers) about $15 total

racks can be fashioned from SS but material is hard to come by
the one on the left is SS with some 6" SS bolts for legs

the one on the right is an aluminum pizza pan (commercial type available from restaurant supply stores) I get mine from Dipaula restaurant supply on Belair rd $4.95

Only have 1 keg at this time? I have made lids from plywood (still using my plywood lid at my shore house)and also flat metal ,SS and alum

Not sure if your keg is SS --most kegs in use now are SS , aluminum is the exception
look for the keg makers name on the top of keg-"Spartanburg" is the manufacturer of most kegs now in use--they only deal in Stainless-if you find the word "Spartanburg" on the keg it is SS

Attachments

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Thanks a ton rj. That looks like the real deal to me. I've done a lot of SS cutting with a grinder so that part should be EZ. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Nick or others
if you want a closer look ,you can stop by my house in Whitemarsh, I am home most days ( at least till fishing season starts) the handles are available at marine max or boaters world in Whitemarsh, marine max is cheaper & I am close by just give me a call
410-335-5848

·
Registered
10 Posts
He should have gotton a patent on his steamer. I think this is the real deal !!!!!! It won't be long now until we see them on the market commercially. Many years ago, I was in the auto repair business, A old mechanic who worked with me cut a 5 gal. A/C freon jug in half with a cutting chisel, put a W/shield washer hose (split with a knife) over the sharp just cut edge, Cut the bottom out and installed a piece of mesh wire in the bottom (For water drainage) and made a gorgeous flower pot. The pot was turned upside down so the handles were the perfect base ( or legs) They could be painted to your prefered color. Shortly thereafter, They were being produced commercially for up to $50.00 Bucks !!!!!!!!!
Broseaweed

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
After seeing RJs rig several years ago I miniaturized it for shrimp. The Heinekin party kegs are stainless and make a nice steamer for a few pounds of shrimp. Mine is about 5yrs old and gets a lot of use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts