Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just started using my Kenner at the Gulf Coast. Mostly I have benn using it to bass fish in the area lakes.

It seems that most of the Gulf Coast ramps have a very shallow ramp especially as compared to fresh water lakes.

Consequently this Kenner is harder to load at the coast. One thing I noticed is that on my "matched" trailer the front bow/keel Never touchs that front roller. Consquently, as I climb up the trailer it doesn't want to stay centered and when I finally winch it up a lot of weight comes to rest on that winch roller. The front roller misses the keel by about 3 inches so it provides no help with support or guideance.

I assume that all 180VX have this problem although I did notice that newer models do rest on that lower roller. My boat and trailer were made in '99. BTW, it appears that my 180VX version is no longer made but the design is somewhere between a 180VX and a 18VX. It is rated at 90hp but it has the same physical dimensions as the 18VX that is rated at 140hp.

Does anyone know if Kenner did a factory recalls upgrades to match the trailer to the boat.

I think I can figure out something but if Kenner has already done it then I'll contact them. Thought I'd just see what others may have already discovered.

tks
Don

·
Registered
656 Posts
Try changing the amount of trailer you put in the water.

On Float on models with a steep ramp it's real critical, The stern floats up high and the boat does not hit right at the winch stand.

On my boat a few inches makes all the difference. I put it in until the top of the fenders are just above the water. Just a bit more and it just won't fit right

Boats

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is on the Texas Gulf Coast at Port Oconor right on an ICW. I agree that postioning trailer is important and that's how I manage it on fresh water. Problem is kinda the opposite of what you described. Since ramp is shallow I have to back way into the water and again then its too hard to winch it up and it does have to come way up, again cause ramp is not steep. So I have to back wayyy in.

It looks like Kenner just did not match the trailer to the boat very well. I'll contact Kenner to see what they say about it. The keel just never touches that front roller on the way in or when finally securred.

tks
Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts