Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We got there just as the tide was starting to ebb, or at least I thought I did. There was very little water at the ramp for high tide but that's what the chart said. We started fishing shortly after high tide around 9pm or so. But first were greeted by a very friendly QA County guy checking for ramp passes. We ended up chatting with this guy for longer than I'd planned but he made friends with my fishing buddy (who had been drinking since noon for the WVU game). The two hit it off well for some reason but refused our offer of a non alcoholic bud light because he said he was a big dead head. Anyway, the guy seemed to know what he was talking about with respect to fishing and said people have been limiting out with very little effort and the fishing is excellent. Buck tails with a flat tailed plastic worm and sassy shads were doing most of the damage. So I thought my force jigging techniques with good old bass assassins and gulp would do a number on them, not to mention some eels my friend insisted on getting.

There were at least a half dozen or more boats out and both banks had plenty of guys willing to cast half way across the narrows regardless of the boats. I can't blame them; I used to be shore bound and figure it's sometimes the boat's responsibility to avoid the bank fishermen. But it gets a little annoying when you have to calm down you're fishing buddy to prevent him from swimming to shore to pick a fight with a bank fishermen because someone casted too close.

The fishing... well.. It was as slow as I've ever seen it. There weren't even little fish flipping in the light line. There was next to nothing going on anywhere. With all the boats out we saw one dink fish caught under the bridge, no keepers of any kind and not a single hit on eels or rattle traps or force jigging techniques. Although I didn't get a decent spot as I couldn't hold anchor or tie off to where I usually would have preferred. But again, we didn't see anyone in any of the prime spots put a decent fish in the boat, or any fish for that matter.

We eventually went up near the police dock to play in the light there and managed a few fish with the fly rod. But barely saw anything there either, even with a good moving tide. The place used to be LOADED with dinks. At least you could have caught all the 10 inch fish you wanted on 5wt fly rods to beat the skunk but we couldn't even do that. What happened to this place? It's November, it should be prime time. Or did I just hit an off night?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Salmo,
We stopped in from a day on Eastern bay and fished the narrows sunday night with the same results you experienced. Not as I remember 4 or 5 years ago when you could catch all of the dinks you wanted. Hope it just a fluke.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooops, meant QA county.

We even saw people live lining spot or perch and were not hooking up. There was barely any bait around. Maybe that had something to do with the weird tide?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
We got there just as the tide was starting to ebb, or at least I thought I did. There was very little water at the ramp for high tide but that's what the chart said. We started fishing shortly after high tide around 9pm or so. But first were greeted by a very friendly QA County guy checking for ramp passes. We ended up chatting with this guy for longer than I'd planned but he made friends with my fishing buddy (who had been drinking since noon for the WVU game). The two hit it off well for some reason but refused our offer of a non alcoholic bud light because he said he was a big dead head. Anyway, the guy seemed to know what he was talking about with respect to fishing and said people have been limiting out with very little effort and the fishing is excellent.

Dude I think the fish are over there man

never did make it out on my trip to WNY either too much thunder and rain

1 - 5 of 5 Posts