Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I posted a little live bait "basics" video to help any of those just starting out. I'm only posting this to help out any newbies, so please don't bust my stones if I leave something out. I had a hard time keeping it to only 10 minutes. I hope this answers some questions for a few new guys:thumbup:

Mike
Old School:D

YouTube - Fresh Water, Live- Bait, Striper Bass/ BASICS-Old School

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope I don't tick-off any "Lifetime" Buggs Island fisherman by sharing what I know. I just like to give help when it is needed. Since this club is designed to help guys catch more stripers, I figured it would be a great place to post it. I sure hope it helps somebody!

Mike Smedley
Team Old school

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi Mike,

As a newbee to fishing Kerr and fishing/boating in general, your presentation worked for me. It added to what I've gleaned from many BISC posts. I may not catch many fish, but I sure feel like I'm catching on to fishing for Kerr stripers. Sometimes I think I should wear Deb's lucky fishing shirt. Cigars might be lucky, but can't go that far.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Regards, Joy T Brew

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joy,
Let's see if we can get out by next weekend. I'll meet ya up there with my boat, see if If Deb wants to come along. If we get 2 or 3 stable weather days in a row, we should be alright. BUT sorry the cigars are a must, just like the Vienna's are a must for you!- GOOD JUJU!:yinyang:

Mike

·
Registered
162 Posts
Joy,
Let's see if we can get out by next weekend. I'll meet ya up there with my boat, see if If Deb wants to come along. If we get 2 or 3 stable weather days in a row, we should be alright. BUT sorry the cigars are a must, just like the Vienna's are a must for you!- GOOD JUJU!:yinyang:

Mike
Hi Mike,

My JuJu is holy vino tinto! Anyway, I tired to get out to Butches's today, but couldn't get Deb in motion. She woke me early and I begged off. Later, when I was ready, she was sound asleep. Getting the boat ready, it got too late. Decided to do it on Friday, still Butcher's. Sat is forecast for rain and Sun is sunny? Whew, next week is anyone's guess.

Send me an e-mail about the meet - when, where, what, etc. Really enjoyed our first outing and looking forward to the next. Might have to do cell phone as my radio may not be working?

I'm guessing that the creek won't have the flood warning coming down Roanoake to Kerr. But the wind, brrrrr.

Don't have a decent winter garb for Deb as she takes a 3X. Yes, she wants to come along. Only a month or so of winter, so I'll try to get by with my old snow mobile suit covered with rain gear for a while.

I plan to have gasto surgeryagain during the final week in January, beginning Jan 25. The biopsy from the first surgery came back benign. :) Unfortunately, the doc couldn't get all the problems the first time, so gotta do it again.

Deb is setting her itinerary to return to CA about Jan 25 or 26 from Dulles. She's making sounds like she may return to Scottsburg . . . loves fishing!

Besides, I can't recover my boat without someone to drive the truck and Deb has the routine down pat. She catches all the fish and is learning to cook fish. So I'm not sure I'll let her keep her lucky Yoda shirt. Are you saying I should put vienna sausage on my hook?

Ha, ha, I wonder if there's a woman out there that has her own truck, boat, loves fishing, knows how to clean fish, cook fish, clean house, and all the other stuff - "Super fishing woman"! Maybe knows how to scratch an itchy fossil back? Hmmmm . . . now I know I'm getting old! But, she can also teach me to fish. Saw an advertisement about Buffalo Junction some time ago. Wonder if he got any replies?

Sure hope you can show me how to catch bait! I'm still getting in a little practice with the casting net. Haven't lost any teeth yet!

More later,

Regards, Joy T Brew

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joy,

I might be taking a buddy out tomorrow, or not? Don't know yet. I was hoping for a few stable weather days during the week for us to meet up. What days are good for you? Also, I have that suit for DEB. If you should venture out tomorrow, give me a call. Or anyone else in the club feels like talking, my ears will be on 68.:yes:

Mike
Old School

·
Registered
162 Posts
Joy,

I might be taking a buddy out tomorrow, or not? Don't know yet. I was hoping for a few stable weather days during the week for us to meet up. What days are good for you?
Mike
Old School
Hi Mike,

We got out on Butchers today( Friday) about 1 PM. Called with my marine radio, but it didn't get any reply. I'll try to get to a shop or buy a new radio shortly.

Went almost directly to the cow pasture, the bottom end and used the TM coming up the west side stream. Caught a keeper on a free line. Had other hits, but no hook ups until later in the afternoon. A toss back (24 inches) kept playing with a planer and I finally just let it run free - when the board sank, I hooked up. Guess the other hits felt the resistance and dropped the bait. Not a bad day.

I think I'll try to get out on Sunday as it will be OK. Butchers is not bad for water clarity. Still learning as the fish were in 40-50 feet of water and seemed not more than 15 feet down taking the minnow. Lots of isolated marks and bait. Birds just sitting in groups of a hundred or more at the Rudd/Butcher's split.

Did you get out and do Grassy again?

Got to work on answers to your other get together questions.

The full moon might make day fishing the pits.

More later,

Regards, Joy

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joy,

I never did get out today. Have you tried for radio-checks? I am also shooting for Sunday. I probably will cruise around grassy. Sounds like you got the minnows working for ya!:clapping2:

Email me, or call me Sat night, maybe we'll meet up. I can probably help you with some bait.

Mike

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks,

I spend a lot of time fishing for Stripers on many different waters. I have been doing it forever, so If anyone has any ideas for other little videos, I would have no problem doing a few. I have a web-site finishing up right now. It will be just for striper fisherman. There wont be a message board, but there will be tons of help , and success videos posted by myself, and others that "goof-off" a lot like I do ;-) I will also post videos from other Striper fisherman as well. No comercials or ads, just fisherman helping fisherman.:clapping2:

Thanks,
Mike Smedley
Team Old School
I also Pro-Staff for Northstar, Accurate, and Smithco. (T-tops, rod holders, accessories)
If anyone has any questions there, I will also be glad to help. And If anyone has any comments on those products, or has any improvement ideas, please let me know:thumbup:w.

·
Registered
82 Posts
looking forward to it!

Mike, I'd like to see a video on sonar reading. If you fish a lot of planer boards as you do, most of your baits are going over unscanned waters. How do you weed out non-productive spots and select a spot to start fishing? Do you do a lot of map reading? What do you look for? Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jaybee,

That's a GREAT topic. I Am a Beta user, Field-tester for Northstar. Although they are quite different than Lowrance, the settings can be pretty close. I will be fishing with a few board members of the Midlands striper club in March pulling Umbrella rigs. We will do a video on what to look for, as well as setting up your sonar. But I think I will do a "set-up and read" kind of video for right now. (I think Lanny would like for me to come to a meeting, and do a similar presentation, and would love to do it, If you will have me).

I don't rely on my chart a whole lot. I use it maybe as a good foundation for water I have not been on before. Such as, I may not make a 25 mile trek to the upper end of an un-known lake in the blustery winter weather when my chart says thet it's only 4 feet deep when I get there!

90% off the time I am looking for bait and temp. When on unknown waters, always look for bait. Lot's of busted up scattered schools of bait are what I like to see. You are right, a planer board on the bank is covering un-charted water. BUT if there is bait close by, it is reasonable to think that Stripers are also close by. Now of course, we have all caught fish when marking nothing at all.:rolleyes:

When I fish up in the New York Harbor for the first time , I heard that all of the charter boats were netting their bait in a small State Park where several hundred sail boates are moored.
From there they would head out to the bay or Ocean. I put the boat in, drove up to the giant schools of bait, and filled the bait tank. I watched EVERY charter boat head out into bigger water that was not really producing many fish. I was never there before, I had bait, and thought- "I am staying right here". I tied up to an empty mooring buoy, threw out some chum, casted out 5 or 6 lines with big chunks of Bunker (menhaden).

Long story short- We could NOT keep 6 lines in the water wether it was big Blues or Stripers to 35lbs, we could do no wrong. Since then, I return EVERY May, this being my 7th year, and the fishing has only gotten better. I have several videos from there. I will attach the links. But my point is, I was on unknown water.The only thing I knew for sure was THERE WAS BAIT THERE!

I have never pretended to know everything, but sometimes dumbing it down can be BRILLIANT!

Anyone is welcome to come up and meet me if they feel like doing something a little different. I plan on staying for a few weeks. Bring your own boat, or I can find some room on mine for a few days. ( I think I have Joy worn down). It's only 7.5 hours from Youngsville.

Check out these short videos.

YouTube - N.Y. STRIPERS! off Live bunker, Friends of Old School catching some good Stripers.

YouTube - Accurate Light-Line Striper-TEAM OLD SCHOOL

YouTube - SLAMMER BLUEFISH Accurate Spinning Reel/ Team Old SCHOOL

YouTube - Cast net Menhaden / Bluefishing/Team Old School

Hope this helps somebody.
Mike Smedley
Old School

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone that has a chance to hop in the boat with Smedly should take advantage of it. I am going to try and line up a trip with him to learn more about u-rigs in the near future. Back in the days of the NSBA I fished against him all over the place and he always seemed to beat me almost every time. This guy spends a lot of time on the water and that is what it takes. Get in the boat with him and learn what he has on all those trips, he will answer any question you have and will help you in any way he can. He'll even give you a tow if your boat won't crank !!!! I owe you one buddy.:thumbup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fletch, I couldn't agree with you more!:yes:

Except that you and your Brother were the ones cashing all of the Tournament Checks!:wacko:

Lake house is almost done at Gaston, lets get the boys together for March.

Mike :boat:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts