Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eminent Brothers,
Every summer I take the available members of our his, hers and ours family to Daytona for a combination visit with my parents (both in their 90's) and vacation. Like all good Parrotheads I want to make the prlgrimage to Key West. It's a 13 hour drive from lovely Cape St Claire to Daytona and I'm told it's another 8 hour drive from Daytona to Key West. That's just too long to keep My Lovely Bride and son Bludworm from driving me nucking futz. My older brother and sister in law made the 8 hour trip when he visited the folks for Thanksgiving and said Key West was a BIG disappointment and they left after a 1 night stay. That convinced me Key West MUST be a really cool place and I want to go there more then ever. Can anyone who has made the trip to Key West by car/truck/SUV give me any sage words of advise, comments or suggestions???

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
einence... have never driv there, but have driven from miami to key west. it is wifey and i favorite place to go, altho not for everybody. high incidence
of gays, but they stick above the clock on duval street mostly, and have their "own areas" that they haunt. never had any trouble with em at all. it strictly a party town, with lots of bars and such all over. very good eateries everywhere. fun to rent mopeds to track around the island. did i mention lots of bars. the conchs(people that live there") are nice to you, but there is an underlying feel of being in a very different place than your usual vacation spot, which endears the island to us, but not all. good trayting there, too, and headboats there that go out for half days, full days,, and even for 2 or three days. plenty of chowder boats , too. we absolutely love it there.the drive thru the keys is breath-taking, at the least..it's paradise exemplified...!!! you'd love it!!!!oh...super hot wx in summer.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Make sure to visit Earnest Hemmingway's home. He was an avid fisherman and pioneer in the sport of big game fishing.

I left at 4 am one morning, drove in the blinding snow and made it to Florida about 5 pm. I drove to the Keys the next morning, arriving around noon and can't understand how anyone could not love Key West. It's paradise to me.

I've also flown a few times and driven from Miami but it's an easy drive.

As a Parrothead, you may not want to leave. I could easily live there

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
einence... have never driv there, but have driven from miami to key west. it is wifey and i favorite place to go, altho not for everybody. high incidence
of gays, but they stick above the clock on duval street mostly, and have their "own areas" that they haunt. never had any trouble with em at all. it strictly a party town, with lots of bars and such all over. very good eateries everywhere. fun to rent mopeds to track around the island. did i mention lots of bars. the conchs(people that live there") are nice to you, but there is an underlying feel of being in a very different place than your usual vacation spot, which endears the island to us, but not all. good trayting there, too, and headboats there that go out for half days, full days,, and even for 2 or three days. plenty of chowder boats , too. we absolutely love it there.the drive thru the keys is breath-taking, at the least..it's paradise exemplified...!!! you'd love it!!!!oh...super hot wx in summer.
IMHO the Keys are my favorite place,,Plenty to do & see. We uisually drive to the keys from Md, the best part is the drive from Miami to the Keys,,plenty to see in the rest of the Keys also, I would plan on more than 4 hrs from Miami so that you can make some stops at some of the interesting places in the other Keys.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
When you get down to Ft. Pierce on 95 switch over to the Florida turnpike, when you get down around Ft. Lauderdale you will see the sign for the keys, much quicker than taking 95. Summertime the prices are cheap except don't go the week of Lobster season everything will be sold out, that is usually the first week of July, check with the Florida wildlife commission for dates avoid that week.

·
7,173 Posts
I got caught up in the Toys for Tots motorcycle trek to the Keys. Interesting to see but a big delay. One of my NC surf fishing partners goes there every year for some body painting event right before our trip in early Nov and then entertains us with his pictures.

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
Been to Key West many times, and have stayed at many places all up and down the Keys. The flavor of Key West is very different than the rest of the Keys. If it is your first trip then I highly recommend that you hop on a Conch Train tour and enjoy a comfortable educational ride all around the island. Key West is a party town at night. Many open bars with live entertainment line Duval Street (toward the western side of the island). Be sure to visit the 'big house' known as Sloppy Joe's which generally has the best entertainment. Another great area is over near the harbor/marina adjacent to the downtown area. Schooner Wharf Bar is infamous and a favorite of many locals. Not sure what you enjoy doing, but Key West can be a great place for some to disgusting for others, but I enjoy Key West. Don't be in such a hurry to rush past all of the other Keys either. The Islamorada section of the Keys is one of my favorites. Check out Robbie's in Islamorada where you can hand feed some of the biggest damn Tarpon you will ever see http://www.robbies.com/tarpon.htm . Hope you have a great vacation....Don

·
Registered
611 Posts
No, the lobster mini-season in July is the last Tuesday and Wednesday or Wednesday and Thursday of the month, can't remember which, but it is at the end of the month, not the start. I have some relatives who live on Big Pine. Every time I go, I wonder why I ever come back to Maryland.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Make sure you stop in and see the World Wide Sportsman tackle store in Islamorada, it is a awesome place to walk around, it is built on the water and has a great restaurant outside that sits on a pier with tarpon swimming around, inside they have the sister ship to Heminway's boat, layed out the same you can climb on and walk around, I never miss a chance to stop there.

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
If you shop around now - I'd bet you could get a decent price on a plane ticket. Figure in what you'll pay in truck fuel and food on the road - about an even break.

Few years ago - we went diving in Key West. 1st week of December - not very crowded but still a fun town.

We flew from BWI to Miama - then boarded a smaller plane. It flew right to Key West. We were there for a week - but 2-3 days is more then enough time to see everything. If you can steal away from SWMBO - well worth finding " Bare Assets " bar.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have flown in many times. Drove down couple years ago. If not in a hurry it driving is ok but flying cost about the same and saves a lot of time. We stopped at the Everglades which is not too far out of the way. Most of the keys looks the same. If I was gonna drive it would have to be because I want to see stuff like the Everglades. I would avoid rush hour, rte 1 can get kinda backed up in parts. A great out of the way place to eat is The Hogfish on Stock Island. A mile or so outside of town. Also, if flying its good to get a stopover in Orlando or Lauderdale instead of Miami. The Miami stopover uses a little puddle jumper and more than once had to sit there for a while on tarmac with no bathroom.

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eminent Brothers
I'm thinking maybe 5 hours on the road to get from Daytona to Islamorada and maybe stay the night then make Key West on the next day. How many days will it take to do my first KW experience justice??

·
7,173 Posts
I would say 15 years would be about right but if you have annoyances and responsibilities like jobs and family, then at least two days. The place really comes alive at night so you'll want to put Bludworm to bed unless you are preparing him for college. Sometimes people get a little crazy, tops come off and so forth. Check out Whale Harbor Marina in Islamorada, great fishing out of there and you can probably get on a shared charter if if you check in the day before around 4 pm as the boats are coming back in. The open restaurant above the marina will cook up to a pound of your catch per person with sides. Nice bar just to have a drink and watch the fishing boats return. My best Keys fishing experiences have been out of there on a boat named Seahorse.

http://www.floridakeysfishing.com/whaleharbor.htm

http://www.hemingwayhome.com/HTML/main_menu.html

·
Registered
533 Posts
We stay in Islamarada and take day trips to Key West. I rent a boat and ahouse on on a canal fish everyday! Lobster ruebens are awesome and resonable! Key West, although nice, is not my cup of tea its kind of like Ocean City but with a Rehobeth flare if you know what I mean. I like the Mel Fisher Muesuem and some of the bars but and it was a fun day trip.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
When driving threw the Keys, pay attention to the speed limits as they closely watch out for the safty of their beloved Key Deer.

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Eminent Brothers
Bludworm will only be 17, so that will be a problem when it comes to night time entertainment. 2 years ago all 3 of us went on a cruise and I thought we'de never see him, but; he stuck to us like glue. For last years vacation I let him take a friend and that sort of worked out a bit better. For me I will either fall in love with KW or it will be a big disappointment. My dad is a native Floridian from Coconut Grove and he always thrilled me with all his stories of sailing and fishing in and around the Keys. Plus we are all Parrotheads and I just plain want to go there

·
7,173 Posts
There is nothing shocking you have to worry about and just certain bars. Smoky Joes is family fun and has a rich history.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Graybeard
Was at Key West Friday. If you have never been there before, its worth seeing. Esp Heminways home. Duvall st. is their big deal, I found it to be a bit boring, Bars, jewelry stores, womens clothing store, and art stores that all look alike and are over priced. Nice harbor area. Some neat old houses off the beaten path. Lot of things worth seeing on the keys. Worldwide fishing center is good and the food at the ilsemarada fish company there is good. The everglades was definately worth seeing, but will take you some time. If you want a headboat, the Marathon Lady out of marathon is the way to go. First class operation, with freindly people. I've done it 3 times and have enjoyed it each time (and I usually don't do that kind of fishing). The drive itself is entertaining with all the bridges and keys.
fishboy

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
plenty of entertainment available ,both day & nite for all ages, Key West is not highly noted for its beaches but that does not put a damper on water related activities, there are plenty of things available from fishing , to sailing,snorkreling,fishing,dolphin watching,jet skiing, kayaking,sight seeing or there are combination trips that do multiple activities,,many tour operators & charter captains are available on short notice?
we have done several trips with the Sebago tours,,their "Island Ting" trip is a full day, with Sailing,Snorkeling,Kayaking, Food & Drinking , we have done it several times & other trips also . they are for all ages & activity levels.

http://www.keywestsebago.com/index.php

http://www.keywestsebago.com/islandting.php

there are plenty of these types of activities available & many different tour types & tour operators readily available there

1 - 20 of 25 Posts