Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello board ! im looking into putting a kicker motor on my boat iwas wondering if a 9.9 is large enough to push a 242 grady trolling for stripers this fall?what rigs do you have ? pros/cons? looking to save on gas so i can stay on the water longer!
thanks for the help !
tueltime culpeper/dvl

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I take it you have a single outboard now. I am sure that it would push your boat. You only need it to get you 3mph or so.

·
Registered
109 Posts
a 9.9 will probably push you enough to troll in calm water, but...most days on the bay during rock season are kinda rough. i think you will need or should have more power to maintain steerage and to over power that bad wave that catches you from the wrong angle when you have a couple of fish on. i have a grady 232 and i don't want to try trolling in the winter with a small motor just to save gas.

frog

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Steve, Riverwatcher has a 15 HP on his 25 Parker. I havn't been with him trolling for stripers yet, but he has used it for flounder when I was with him and it worked great. I'm thinking of getting one for my Parker too. Dave

·
Registered
846 Posts
I think they have a special style prop you put on Kicker's to Make them better for trolling?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Have 15HP Honda kicker on G/W 228. Pushes it around 5-6 knots max. 2-3 kts is enough for stripers. Will push boat 4.5-5 knots at 1/3 throttle-after that boat just "squats" and pushes more water with little increase in speed. It's not really enough for offshore though, where you typically need 6-8 knots or more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info !i was leaning toward a15hp but asalesman i was talking to said that a9.9high thrust had as much pushing power as a15hp .that was hard for me to believe.a trolling motor would be nice to have on the days its not rolling to bad .if it gets to rough ican always use the bigger motor,i have 1998 200 johnson 2strk thath i found out idling ,low rpms the carbs load up.ihad a mecanhic so call tune the motor but didnt notice any difference.hopefully i can get through this season looking to upgrade to a 250 four strke fuel injected thanks again for all the replys good luck! hope everyone has a safe fallseason !
on ch68 out of norview tueltime!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 15 HP Yamaha 4 stroke kicker on a 2520 Parker. I bought it just for getting me to the dock should I have trouble with the regular engine. It pushes the boat 6 MPH.
I would suggest you a little more considering that's a heavy boat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I put a 15 honda on my 23 mako and could not be happier run out and back with the 225 merc and troll with the honda pushes the boat fine for rockfishing

·
Registered
573 Posts
As Capt. Dave said, I have a 15 HP 4-stroke Yamaha as a kicker on my 2510 Parker. I installed it as a get home motor if the big motor were to fail. But, I have found it to be very useful for trolling for flounder when the current wasn't moving, and I have used it for trolling for stripers when I was not in a crowd. I usually keep the kicker motor headed straight ahead and then use the big motor for steering. I have to make gradual turns unless I go back to the kicker motor and speed it up and turn it.

Get the LONG SHAFT motor. It will keep the prop in the water better in rough seas while keeping the powerhead out better.
I will try to remember to run a speed test the next time I go out on the Parker and will post the results.
Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
i made a simple little rig out of a lift strut for a rear window for a truck cap that ties the two motors together for steering, works for me! pop it on for trolling then pop it off for running .both turn together and it makes a big difference a real big difference

1 - 11 of 11 Posts