Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TFers, I'm looking for some advice/suggestions around kicker motors. Is it necessary to have a 20inch shaft on your kicker motor? or can you use a 15inch kicker mounted to an adjustable mounting bracket? Some of these kicker mounts I've seen can be raised and lowered, and have a considerable amount of travel on them.

What have your experiences been with the kickers you've used? What type/size kicker do you use with your rig?

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
I used to use a 25 HP Merc to troll with on a 25' cuddy cabin.I had it on a heavy duty lift mount and used a strong safety cable secured through a transom hook.I used a 1/4 aluminum backing plate to re inforce the transom.The motor will weigh 75- 120 lbs and that's alot of force on a rough day.

It pushed the boat at up to 6 knots :thumbup:.You will need a very low pitch prop.Yamaha used to have a 9.9 that was designed to be used as a kicker only.

Take a look around and see how others have mounted theirs.You need the prop to be fairly deep.If you are rolling - the prop might come out of the water due to being off center of the hull.

Kickers are great insurance - mine once got us home from 9 miles out.Be sure to run it - I would start mine almost every trip - just to be sure it would run.You most likely will need to use a seperate fuel source but 6 gallons will run a small motor a long time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skip,

Thanks for the advice. Good idea to use an additional backing plate when you mounted your kicker. Was your kicker a 15inch shaft? or a 20inch shaft?

Brandon

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Capt. Wayne Morgan uses one --Maybe PM him--

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Brandon - that was 13 years ago.I'd be lying if I told you I remember.

I'll guess and say long shaft.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 15hp kicker on a 24' grady white. What you'll have to consider is how you will mount it and how much swing the mount has and how much you can tilt the motor when not running. I purchased a heavy duty mount from tri-state marine. I'm glad I did because the average mount would have not held up since I fish offshore. My engine is not a long shaft and does great. In rough seas it still digs the water some, especially off of plane and a long shaft motor would have stayed submerged.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
One nice thing on some boats is you can lock the kicker straight ahead and use the outdrive of the main motor as a rudder :thumbup:. No need to connect them with expensive linkage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts